X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP25: Pros and Cons

Anyone have any?

My thoughts

I suppose it would be good to make a comparison against some other option, such as the TP2 or the SP600.

I can start the list

Pros would include
    it acts as a scanning AND a touch trigger probe
    it is highly accurate
    it can support long/large stylii
    The body is easily interchangable using the AutoJoint
    The stylii are interchangable using an FCR25 rack

Cons might be
    price??
    calibration can be lengthy (this is being improved upon)
    could require a new rack (FCR25)

Comment

Originally posted by Don Ruggieri View Post
      I suppose it would be good to make a comparison against some other option, such as the TP2 or the SP600.

I can start the list

Pros would include
      it acts as a scanning AND a touch trigger probe
      it is highly accurate
      it can support long/large stylii
      The body is easily interchangable using the AutoJoint
      The stylii are interchangable using an FCR25 rack

Cons might be
      price??
      calibration can be lengthy (this is being improved upon)
      could require a new rack (FCR25)

we have just purchased one with our new cmm. I already am using a sp600 and I can already see that with the sp25 I will gain more measuring room with its smaller size. I hope I can talk the powers into upgrading my 600 to a 25. I can wait to give it a try.

thanks by the way.

Comment

Con - When used as a touch trigger probe, it takes a lot longer to check a feature than when using a standard TP2 or TP20. I went from just scanning bored holes to scanning all holes including threaded holes ( Cyl using pitch ) It shortened the time down considerably and is faster, or can be faster than the TP2 or TP20. This of coarse takes into consideration if you are only taking 3 - 5 hits or taking many with the touch trigger probing.

Pro - You get many, many more hits on a feature, you get the true picture because it stays in contact with the part. More accurate readings because of all hits.
        Some issues here and there, but over all it fantastic.
        Modules are expensive but I would try to get all 4 of them as you will probably need them all, especially if you check parts with deep bores. I would also get an extra holder for each, you will just need to makes sure you have enough rack space for all.

Rack and all came with new CMM, so it was included in price. If rack is hit hard enough in a crash it may need to be re-calibrated for location. Usually seems to happen with new operators, of coarse this applies to all racks but since it is our only machine with a rack it can be a con, overall though, having a rack is great.
        Last edited by VONDY; 04-02-2007, 08:01 AM.
        sigpic

B&S ADVANTAGE 12-22-10, EXCEL 9-15-9, ETC.
        PCDMIS 4.1, 3.5mr2,

Comment

I have always Liked a good RACK
          Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment

The only con I have is the calibration time.
            sigpicOn the Obama Express. Next stop, the soup line.

Comment

Originally posted by VONDY View Post
              Con - When used as a touch trigger probe, it takes a lot longer to check a feature than when using a standard TP2 or TP20. I went from just scanning bored holes to scanning all holes including threaded holes ( Cyl using pitch ) It shortened the time down considerably and is faster, or can be faster than the TP2 or TP20. This of coarse takes into consideration if you are only taking 3 - 5 hits or taking many with the touch trigger probing....
              Can you elaborate on the time difference you are encountering? I don't have an SP25, but I do use the SP600 and when we started using it we also had some slow response from the SP600. Perhaps I can help?
              sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

The difference in time is only about a second a hit. Not much until you start adding them all up. We take 11 hits in a threaded hole. Thats 11 seconds more per hole. 100 holes in a part, +18 min's., check ten parts per pallet, 3 hrs. ( I think my math is close )

I really don't need any help anymore as we went to all SP25's and SH25 holders on our new machine except for one which I will be replacing once that holder comes in.

From my understanding, a touch trigger probe takes its reading as it is going into the part and touches it, when using the SP25 like a touch trigger probe (auto/circle), it goes into the part but doesn't take its reading until the way out, which it almost comes to a stop as it is getting its reading somewhere between its min\max set values. This is where the extra second comes in. That period of time it slows down to take its reading, the TP's just keep right on moving to its next hit. If I scan the hole, it stays in contact with the threads the whole time and does a circular sweep, this is actually faster then the TP's as it doesn't move in and out. As I said earlier, if you only take a few hits in the hole, it might be faster than the scan.
                sigpic

B&S ADVANTAGE 12-22-10, EXCEL 9-15-9, ETC.
                PCDMIS 4.1, 3.5mr2,

Comment

If I had a 600 I would not "upgrade" to a 25. I would consider that a downgrade.
                  The 600 has twice the dynamic range, is far more robust, can handle very long styli, works very well as a star probe. It is bigger in diameter but you can work around that.

Tip cal time is the big killer for the scanning heads. I dont know why the heads cant be simply calibrated based on the current usage and not for all usages each time.
                  Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

well I have had my 25 for about 3 weeks and I like it. It seems a little bit fragile and I had to buy a bunch of new probes. One con I can say is the time it takes to rearrange the tool rack for a new job but oh well.

Comment

The SP25 looks delicate but I can tell you it is very tough. I have seen one with broken optics but also watched one fall about four feet onto a hard floor and it was fine.

If I had to rate based on toughness I'd say

1. TP2
                      2. TP20
                      3. SP600
                      4. SP25
                      5. My 92 year old grandmother
                      6. TP200

Comment