PHC10-3 wont power on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHC10-3 wont power on

Earlier today we had our maintenance team replace the air lines connected from the X axis to the Z axis on our very old Brown and Sharpe MicroVal. After the air lines were replaced and i powered the CMM back on, the probe head controller will not power back on. The controller is a Renishaw PHC10-3 plus. There are no lights coming on the controller at all. Is there anything that could have happened during the replacement of the air lines that could cause this to happen? it seems like if something became disconnected in the CMM itself there should still at least be power going to the probe head controller? Has anybody else had similar issues with this model of controller?

Make sure e-stop button(s) are pulled up/reset.
    This might sound crazy, but is there a USB/Firewire plugged into the back of the PHC? if so, unplug that S.O.B... it should fix your problem.
    Otherwise, the PHC power is controlled and switched by a little relay box, that has a serial port connection to the CMM's controller, make sure those plugs securely plugged in.

Comment

The E-stops are all pulled up/reset. There is no USB/firewire plugged in that i can see. is there any chance that this could happen if not enough air pressure is in the machine? the only thing that has changed since the machine worked till now is the replacement of the air lines.I noticed the gauge is only hovering around 60 psi and i know it requires 80. if the machine does not have 80 psi could it prevent the controller from powering on?

Comment

• KIRBSTER269
        KIRBSTER269 commented
        Editing a comment
        If so pull the dust cover out and check behind that E-stop, there's a connector that came loose one time on me. Plug it back up, and/or check all connections, probably one came loose somewhere.

• louisd
        louisd commented
        Editing a comment
        On modern era machines there's high/low pressure switches (like on a car's A/C system) that will prevent the motor drives from activating, which would prevent the PHC from turning on as a result.
        Can you move machine? are motor drives on or is this an old a_s_s validator that's manually operated?

• jtrofatter
        jtrofatter commented
        Editing a comment
        I definitely looked everywhere for any kind of E-stop on the machine. I know a machine at a different shop i worked at gave me issues with that a lot. This machine is a dinosaur though.

The motors weren't working but i could still flip it over into the manual setting and use the knobs on the drive shafts to move the axis. We eventually got the probe head controller to turn on it just took a lot of attempts over the course of four hours. i quintuple checked all the cables and connections to the head unit and the power supply and everything was secure. When we did get it to turn back on we hadn't even done anything different to get any kind of result. It was almost like it was just throwing a fit and finally decided it was ready turn back on. Could this possibly mean the power supply is on its last leg?

Comment

• bigtallanddopey
        bigtallanddopey commented
        Editing a comment
        To be honest, if you are dealing with very old equipment this is sometimes the type of things that happen. At one of our other sites we have a 27 year old CMM with a controller of the same age. We have to leave the controller on 24/7 as if it is switched off it can easily take a day to turn back on with all of its functionality.

• KIRBSTER269
        KIRBSTER269 commented
        Editing a comment
        I notice you kept saying "WE" either your French, or there was more than 1 person fiddling with the connectors. Maybe one of you guys wiggle it just right to make a decent connection. When troubleshooting connections, best practice is to do is check each individual connector, one at a time, power it up and then move on to the next one. Unless you know the ohms and power of each wire, and you have a multi-meter. I'm not sure anyone in this room, well maybe with the exception of JEFMAN , knows that.
    Working...
    X