Probe changes when pasting pattern

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probe changes when pasting pattern

I've noticed when pasting a circular pattern that PC-DMIS no longer pastes the tip position to match the angle for each feature in 2017 R2.
    Is there a way to turn this feature on?

a) Are you sure the tip is selected in the bit you're copying?
    b) What probe head is it? And what A angle are you trying to copy (I know when the Tesastar head first came out A5BXX didn't get copied - I assume this was because previously with the Renishaw heads 7.5° was the lowest A angle which needed copying)
    Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

• caryweaver
      caryweaver commented
      Editing a comment
      Tip is selected when copying. It's a PH10M head. It always worked in version 3.7, now it gives me a message that tips have to be edited in program, which is time consuming for 90 holes.

So you are copying and pasting with pattern, and the demon is producing error messages stating the tips have to be edited?
    Are the angles newly created as a result of the pattern?

You MUST, no option otherwise, calibrate all the probe angles created before you measure, correlation error will result if not.
    That's what the demon is throwing at you, "I haven't calibrated these new tip angles yet. Calibrate them for me, (or maybe even "let me calibrate them") before I give you crap data, or crash your probe."

Comment

• caryweaver
      caryweaver commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm using an offline seat for programming. There is a pattern of horizontal holes equally spaced on a round part.
      Starting with tip A90B180, measuring a hole. I then set my pattern at 4 degrees to paste the other 89 holes. The holes come out right, but the tip is always A90B180 for every hole.

• louisd
      louisd commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think the demon will just create new probe angles for you. You have to go in and create the angles in probe setup first.
      Also, are you really needing 90 different probe angles? Or will one angle work for 2-5 holes at a time, without shanking?

I have noticed the same thing on 2018 and 2017. I'm using PH10M, PH10T, and PH10MQ heads.

Comment

After you pattern your holes, just f9 them, turn auto ph9 on, hit ok, it will insert the angle. I tend to f9 again and shut it back off though.

Comment

• caryweaver
        caryweaver commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, this works, but it's still F9 ing 90 holes. I wonder why they changed this.

caryweaver,
      Have you found a fix for this issue? I regularly us paste with pattern on my round features and the F9ing does not work if pattern offsetting a series of vector points that were measured at a specific angle. I really hope that this was not intended as an "enhancement" by the software devs. I realize that they added a pop-up window notifying of the angle changes but there are no angles being changed when I pattern offset.
      DEA ALPHA GANTRY20-33-15
      GLOBAL STATUS 9-15-8
      GLOBAL PERFORMANCE 9-12-8
      GLOBAL PERFORMANCE 5-5-5
      RENISHAW SP600/SP25/TP20/TP2
      CMS 106
      FARO EDGE

Comment

• caryweaver
        caryweaver commented
        Editing a comment
        I have not been able to make it work the way it did in previous versions.

I just got off the phone with Tech support. The stated that this is indeed a know bug in the software. It is present in 2017R2, 2018R1, and the tech preview of 2018R2. My support ticket was put on hold and I was told that I would be notified as soon as this has been resolved. This is a big disappointment for my applications, as I regularly use paste with pattern including tip angle changes. So I will be staying at 2017R1 for the time being.
      DEA ALPHA GANTRY20-33-15
      GLOBAL STATUS 9-15-8
      GLOBAL PERFORMANCE 5-5-5
      CMS 106
      FARO EDGE

Comment

You could always save the program, then save it as 2016 with a different name(like ProgramName_2016). Then paste with pattern in 2016 and save. Then open the 2016 program with your current version and the original program at the same time. Copy the patterned part of the program from the 2016 to the original. Finally close the 2016 program and save the original.

Piece of cake.
        PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

• louisd
          louisd commented
          Editing a comment
          BUT you MUST have circus music playing (with slide whistle and clown noises) while doing it. Whaa bab baananana baap baap naaah naaah! Boop doo doo boop doo doo. Beep beep neeny neeny beep beep dod doo....

Thanks for the suggestion! It is true that that is always and option and fortunately there always seems to be work-arounds however I would rather stick with a version that will not pose headaches for my less experienced operators. 2017R1 has been solid for the most part and as long as I can keep my engineering dept from migrating to the latest versions of UG/NX I should be ok.
        DEA ALPHA GANTRY20-33-15
        GLOBAL STATUS 9-15-8
        GLOBAL PERFORMANCE 5-5-5
        CMS 106
        FARO EDGE

Comment

Originally posted by louisd View Post
          BUT you MUST have circus music playing (with slide whistle and clown noises) while doing it. Whaa bab baananana baap baap naaah naaah! Boop doo doo boop doo doo. Beep beep neeny neeny beep beep dod doo....
          Sorry, I thought that went without saying. I always have circus music playing when dancing with the Demon.
          PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

• louisd
            louisd commented
            Editing a comment
            No joke, my old man has a legit-produced CD of nothing but carousel & merry-go-round music. If you need it, let me know, lol.

• fatso666
            fatso666 commented
            Editing a comment
            Or, for our friends from across 'the pond', the theme from The Benny Hill Show.
        Working...
        X