Star Probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Probe

Any tips on how to physically square star probe to machine axis when assembling & tightening to TP2.

A 1-2-3 block that is square to the machine axis works pretty well. If you search for "align star probe" you should find several threads on this. As far as how to get it just right. . . patience and pratice. It really isn't that bad. HTH
    sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Originally posted by Darin Steiner View Post
      Any tips on how to physically square star probe to machine axis when assembling & tightening to TP2.
      I used to check parts with a star probe long, long time ago.

My CMM is a bridge, so first, I used to move the arm toward the center of the table (X) and toward front (-Y) prior to aligning the probe.
      And always put an extension in between the 5-way connector and the TP2
      it makes the adjusting easier.
      The front tip (Tip5) is the one that does the trick, do a "pre- thightening"
      and orient front tip a bit crooked to the left.
      Go to the rear of the probe with your left hand and grasp the 5-way connector
      Make the aligning motion while tightening tip1 with right hand.

Done! Ready to make "pesos"
      sigpicIt's corona time!
      737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAƑOL

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.

Comment

Absolutly square is not always necessary, and sometimes you NEED to have it out of square. You CAN put it on there anyway you can (or want). The only draw back is that if it isn't square enough, the first time through, YOU will ahve to calibrate them all manually. After that, as long as it goes back in at least CLOSE to the same, it will calibrate in DCC mode without a problem. What I will generally do is put a 10mm extension ABOVE the 'spinning knuckle' and leave it there. Then, when you take it apart, do so above the 10mm extension. If this extension screws directly into the TP2, then it will be 'close enough' every time you put it in. If you have to use more or bigger extensions, if you can leave them attached to the star in the same manner, it will also work.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I put mine on by eye. I kick the head at 90/0 and put the star on and get it pretty straight. Never had a problem yet.

Except when I drink too much the night before.
            sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Originally posted by bw_bob View Post
              I put mine on by eye. I kick the head at 90/0 and put the star on and get it pretty straight. Never had a problem yet.

Except when I drink too much the night before.
              WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT.........?

Drink too much?

DRINK too much?

Drink TOO much?

What is that? I do not understand your statement.
              sigpic
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT.........?

Drink too much?

DRINK too much?

Drink TOO much?

What is that? I do not understand your statement.
                I think what Bob meant is that on occasion he has found himself to be slightly overserved resulting in a small, temporary, visual distortion, usually accompanied by a pounding headache and severe thirst. Am I correct Bob?

Comment

Wes thats why you get the big bucks....you are correct.
                  sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Originally posted by bw_bob View Post
                    Wes thats why you get the big bucks....you are correct.
                    Well, he may have figured out what YOU meant, but he didn't figure out what I meant, which was I didn't know it was possible to drink too much, geez!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                      Well, he may have figured out what YOU meant, but he didn't figure out what I meant, which was I didn't know it was possible to drink too much, geez!
                      Subtleties Matt. I corrected Bob when I said he was overserved. (Thanks Rusty!) In his haste Bob mis-spoke. We all know it is impossible to drink too much and the only problems occur when one must stop drinking and resort to the evils of work.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco View Post
                        Subtleties Matt. I corrected Bob when I said he was overserved. (Thanks Rusty!) In his haste Bob mis-spoke. We all know it is impossible to drink too much and the only problems occur when one must stop drinking and resort to the evils of work.
                        Ah, now I understand what he was whining, er, complaining about.
                        sigpic

Comment