TP-20 Vs. TP-200 Probe systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TP-20 Vs. TP-200 Probe systems

We are having a debate over which system to stay with. Some are saying the TP-20 system is suffient for our needs because of costs for the TP-200 we don't gain enough accuracy to warrant the extra cost. We have had a few non-catastrophic crashes that have rendered the TP-200 dead in the water. Where the same type of crash would be surviveable for the TP-20 system. Another view is you do not gain all that much from the claimed higher accuracy of the TP-200 vs the delicacy of the TP-200 modules vs the more robust attributes of the TP-20 system. How much is really gained by the higher cost/accuracy of the TP-200 versus the lower cost/lower accuracy of the TP-20? Any one care to comment on this?

TP-20 VS. TP200

WE HAVE FOUND VERY LITTLE PRACTICLE ADVANTAGE IN
    ACCURACY W/ TP-200 OVER TP-20. GOOD METROLOGY PRACTICE
    SEEMS TO MATTER MUCH MORE THEN THE TYPE OF PROBE. ALSO
    ANY EDGE THE TP-200 SEEMS TO HAVE WHEN NEW, DECREASES
    OVER TIME WITH THE TP-20 GOING LONGER BETWEEN REBUILD/EXCHANGE.
    GLOBAL FX 12-15-10
    3.7MR3, XP/SP2
    EXCEL 12-20-10, 9-12-9, 7-10-7

Comment

What Bob said..........Also what kind of accuracy do you need?
      +/-.015 or +/-.0015

BS
      Windows 7
      Pc-Dmis 2015
      Global Performance 7-10-7

Comment

we deal with some tighter tols such as +/-.001 frequently and at times +/-.0005. We have had issues of the modules for the TP-200 giving incorrect results, then switching to same part same machine/CMM to a TP-20 module then providing proper data. During what should be noncatastrophic crashes killing the TP-200 bodies and or modules. The survivability rate for the TP-20 mods are much higher. But we have someone concerned about losing the ability to measure more accurately. Personally I don't think the cost is worth the cost TP-200 VS TP-20. Others disagree. I want any info on either side of this debate.

Comment

I was using the TP200 probe module on my machine(Chameleon 9-12-9) for quite a while. The probe modules that we replaced due to operator error seemed to be inferior in quality(RBE; repair by exchange). It got to the point where we would be replacing these units way too often and they did not take any serious hits. But, after using them for 6 months you can't back up your theory of inferior replacemnt parts, so we switched to the TP20 system on my machine and have not replaced any modules to date(it has been approximately 1.5 years since the switch).
          sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Hey BOB !

Still got some stubborn fellas there, do ya ? LOL

I have talked to a few clients that have switched from a TP200 systen to a TP20 module system. The difference between the repeatablilty and accuracy is less than the guys that are concerned about accuracy can even imagine.

There ar many methods you can use to increase your accuracy, yes, even using a bad old TP20...+/- .001 and +/- .0005" takes a certain amount of care, regardless of what you are measuring with.

My vote says that you have made some solid valid points. Oh ya, some ppl have told me the TP200 is a little to sensitive to run the programs fast also.

My 2 cents....

Take care Bob.
            Jim Jewell

Comment

Thank You all for you time and input. Very useful information.

Comment

We have a TP-200 on 2 CMM's and I have never had to replace a module "yet" We have 10 of them. We did replace one of the TP-200's in 2005 but we have had it in service since 1998. So my luck with them has been good so far. I have never used a TP20 but from what I know they are very robust as everyon e says. I would stay with it.
                Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment