Network access

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network access

Just upgraded to 2018 R1, Windows 10 from 2011, XP. New PC, although I think they cheaped out on the video card, but whatever. Anyway, all of my files are stored on a remote server. It is mapped to the PC, but DMIS doesn't see it. What am I missing?

You should save everything locally anyway..

EDIT:
    Perhaps Run as Administrator?
    Are you allowed Write access to the folder on the server?
    Last edited by InspectorJester; 05-17-2018, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• Brad T
      Brad T commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. I have full permissions.

That video card isn't going to matter unless you are working with large cad files. What exactly is your process of "DMIS doesn't see it."? Are you trying to open a program?

Comment

Do you have the correct search path setup under edit, set search path?
      trice
      4.3 mr1

Comment

Demon doesn't like networks. period. Ten (maybe fifteen) years ago, Wilcox would insist that network connections are not for the CMM PC's.. Threaten to void warranties and shizzle.

Comment

• louisd
          louisd commented
          Editing a comment
          Objectively, just last year we had sporadic data-writeline to CSV omissions when writing directly to a mapped network drive. We worked around it by writing to a local file then moving completed file with data to the network location as a final step in the routine. the sporadic writeline omissions hasn't recurred since.

I would guess that you run PC-DMIS as administrator and your network login script isn't mapping the network drives in the correct way. No fault of PC-DMIS.

See https://support.microsoft.com/kn-in/...when-uac-is-co

Or run PC-DMIS as a normal user. You may need to have IT modify some access right in the Registry - documented in Appendix B in the ReadMe.PDF in your PC-DMIS installation.
        Last edited by AndersI; 05-18-2018, 03:53 AM.
        AndersI
        SW support - Hexagon Metrology Nordic AB

Comment

Originally posted by Brad T View Post
          Just upgraded to 2018 R1, Windows 10 from 2011, XP. New PC, although I think they cheaped out on the video card, but whatever. Anyway, all of my files are stored on a remote server. It is mapped to the PC, but DMIS doesn't see it. What am I missing?
          Let's get PC-DMIS out of the mix for a minute. Start the PC, log on, and use File Explorer. Can you see the network or the files then? If File Explorer cannot see them, then PC-DMIS certainly cannot see them.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. The video card comment was just me complaining, it has no relevance here. I can access this location outside of DMIS, and everything appears to be mapped correctly, but I can't access it through DMIS whether attempting to open a file or inserting a file. In the future, I will only be accessing the network for CAD files. I forgot that detail, but I can't access to set it as the search path. If I have to go through the extra step of copying the files over locally so be it, but I just don't see why I should have to. Just an added step that I don't think should be necessary.

Comment

• AndersI
              AndersI commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you run PC-DMIS as Admin or Normal user?
              If Admin, did you read the Microsoft note I linked (or showed it to your IT)?

I did. Waiting for IT to respond. Thanks for the help. It makes sense as they have just recently installed new logon scripts for everybody.

Comment

Try mapping the network drive to a device letter (like Z:\) and see if that can remedy the problem.
              PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o18 R1 SP2

Comment

Originally posted by Brad T View Post
                ... It is mapped to the PC, but DMIS doesn't see it. What am I missing?
                vpt.se

Comment

• vpt.se
                  vpt.se commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, you can map it as a network drive and/or as a device letter. Might be worth a try.

• InspectorJester
                  InspectorJester commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hmm.. I suppose I am making a lot of assumptions there..
                  I like it!
                  Maybe make a shortcut to the folder and see if you can access that

Tried that, great idea. But it says it "doesn't exist". I have walked through everything here to no avail. Currently I am waiting for IT, as they just changed our logon scripts and network security in the last couple of weeks. That is only other variable that I can come up with. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• InspectorJester
                  InspectorJester commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Interesting!
                  Yes, IT will probably have to get involved; chances are it's a permissions issue or something. It could be set fine on your PC, but not necessarily on the server or Group Policy, for example.
                  Good luck!
              Working...
              X