New PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PC

What's the easiest way to switch to a new PC?? I would like this to go as quick and painless as possible.

Thanks!!

Switch the hard drive from the old PC with the hard drive in the new PC?

Comment

I think the harddrive is bad in the old PC, that's why I'm switching.

Comment

So does the old PC work? Will it boot up?

Comment

Put the OLD harddrive in the new PC as a slave. Get the new PC up and running (windoze, etc.). Copy ALL the Pcdmis stuff from the old drive to the new drive, same paths names, etc., re-install the current version of Pcdmis over the top of the copy.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Also make sure your the administrator for the pc.
            sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Hello,
              Don't forget the one key point.
              What version of windows is on the old pc? What version is on the new?
              Most files are a no braiiner, but don't forget the probe files. Make a note on the comm port id.

VP A.Gore
              sigpicA.Gore

Comment

I'm wondering if you can just add the old hard drive to the new pc leaving the new pc's hard drive in place. This might cause some trouble with booting since windows will be installed on both hard drives. Then, once you are booted up, you could easily copy everthing from the old hard drive to the new. Then remove the old - hang on to it just in case. Or, if you are connected to a network, copy everthing having to do with PC-DMIS to a network folder. Then, copy it to the new hard drive.

Apparently, Matt was thinking the same thing. I hate it when I start typing a response and then get pulled away. I come back, finish and hit post and someone has already said exactly what I was thinking.

Comment

If you make the drive a slave (as matt point out) you can add it.

I keep one of those $25 USB drive boxes around and when I need to hook up an old drive to a pc it is much easier to just drop it in that box and plug it into the USB port, instead of cracking open the case.
                  Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

I don't have a box, what's the easiest way to do what Matt suggested??

Thanks a bunch, you guys are saving me a lot of headaches...

Comment

Most pc's have a duel ribbon cable that you can connect both hard drives to.
                      There should be a set of pins that you would need to change to make one a slave
                      sigpic
                      if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

On the back of the drive, there are the pins that Tom pointed out. There should be a jumper there. On the drive somewhere near these pins should be a lable with the jumper settings for master/slave. Change the jumper setting to Slave.

I started writing out the instructions but after the second paragragh realized that I missed too much detail to make sure that you didnt make a mistake that I deleted it and wrote this instead.

Google:
                        http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

After all is said and done, tell you boss you need $30 in petty cash and go get the box at Best Buy. Tell him it will save him $400 of your time.

Comment

I may have to on a box myself.. I must have 10 different hard drives at home and no longer have a clue what is on them..but I saved them for some reason...lol
                          sigpic
                          if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

Hello,
                            You can have the two hd's in one case, slave one out and even change your boot up drive, if you want to use an older version of windows, by going thru the bios settings.
                            But I like the box with the usb idea. I have not seen them, can you give more info or a name of the item?
                            sigpicA.Gore

Comment

Here is a sample on Tiger Direct. They are readily availabe at about any place that sells computers or harddrives. They are really called: Hard Drive Enclosures. I will never slave a drive again that I dont intend to leave in the computer - it is just too much work.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...c:2778|&Sort=4

Comment