CONSTRUCT CIRCLE using multiple other circles, OR NOT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONSTRUCT CIRCLE using multiple other circles, OR NOT?

Programming question

Say I have a 18.00'' diameter designated as a datum. However this particular diameter feature is not continuous, it is interrupted with 6x slot cuts of some sort.
    What is the better way to evaluate the feature ?
    Take 6 separate auto circles and combine them into one single feature using CONSTRUCT CIRCLE?
    Take a series of points avoiding the cutouts, and then CONSTRUCT CIRCLE using the points?

Che Guevara is a communist scumbag.

I would definitely use points. It will give you the best raw data to construct an accurate circle from.
    PC-DMIS 2015.1, SP10, CAD++
    Global 7/10/7, 5/5/5
    Renishaw PH10MQ, PH10M, TP200

Comment

I agree with Max. Look at it this way: If you do circles out of segments, you are getting best-fit circles. THEN when you create another circle, you are getting a best-fit of a best-fit. Probably not optimal. I've done exactly what you are trying to do, many times, and I take multiple points on each segment, then construct a circle from the individual points. For me, it was also easier to see which point(s) is(are) making the data look bad, if it looks bad. If you were planning on measuring circle segments, extracting the individual hits, then constructing a circle, well I think it is just easier (and more direct) to simply program individual hits and construct a circle. Good luck!

Comment

...or create the new circle using the hits from the autocircles (CIR1.HIT[1..CIR1.NUMHITS], CIR2.HIT[1..CIR2.NUMHITS] and so on)
        PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP11

Comment

Both solutions are equivalent, if you construct at the end a BFRE circle from hits...
          You can also measure it as a measured circle, (for example 3 hits), then change the number of hits (example 36) and delete those which are in front of slots...

Comment

interesting. thanks for the feed back.

i wonder if the answer would be the same if there were more circles involved.
            we all know cmm's in general dont particularly like measuring small sections of large radii.
            what if the diameter were interrrupted 100x?

would you still recommend measuring 100 circles and creating one single BFRE circle? or resort to individual points?
            Last edited by BIGWIG7; 05-03-2018, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGWIG7 View Post
              interesting. thanks for the feed back.

i wonder if the answer would be the same if there were more circles involved.
              we all know cmm's in general dont particularly like measuring small sections of large radii.
              what if the diameter were interrrupted 100x?

would you still recommend measuring 100 circles and creating one single BFRE circle? or resort to individual points?
              In this case, maybe there would be a possibility to create a single circle !
              The advantage of measuring some circles instead of many points is the readibility of the prog.
              If you have to measure 100 points, its about 1000 lines.
              Using a loop in this cas is really interesting...
              Or create a group, then hide it !

Comment

Originally posted by JEFMAN View Post

In this case, maybe there would be a possibility to create a single circle !
                The advantage of measuring some circles instead of many points is the readibility of the prog.
                If you have to measure 100 points, its about 1000 lines.
                Using a loop in this cas is really interesting...
                Or create a group, then hide it !
                yes i love my groups!
                but that doesnt really answer the question. is it preference? will 100 circles combined into 1 BFRE net the same result as a CONSTRUCTED CIRCLE using points?

i must test this.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGWIG7 View Post

yes i love my groups!
                  but that doesnt really answer the question. is it preference? will 100 circles combined into 1 BFRE net the same result as a CONSTRUCTED CIRCLE using points?

i must test this.
                  I would answer "yes"...
                  And I will wait after your test

Comment