Star Probe Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Probe Value

I just read an advertisement that said, 'Master the Star Styli, and your productivity will soar!'

Has anyone noticed their productivity soaring as a benefit to using a Star Probe?

Anyone have any comments on benefits, advantages / disadvantages? I haven't used one very much, but if there is signigicant benefit, I can get one.

All suggestions / comments are welcome....

Aaron Fenner
    Quality Engineer
    PC-Dmis v4.3
    B & S Global Status 7.7.7
    6 years xp 32-bit

sigpic

Originally posted by afenner View Post
    I just read an advertisement that said, 'Master the Star Styli, and your productivity will soar!'

Has anyone noticed their productivity soaring as a benefit to using a Star Probe?

Anyone have any comments on benefits, advantages / disadvantages? I haven't used one very much, but if there is signigicant benefit, I can get one.

All suggestions / comments are welcome....
    The ONLY time a star probe gets put on my machine is when I absolutely have to, have no choice BUT to, use one. IF you do not have an articulating head, then yeah, it might help you. If you have a PH9, PH9a, PH10, any probe head that can change angles, then no, I don't think you will gain anything from using one.

The only time I have used one in the last 18 years is when I have had a part that is longer than the 72" travel my machine has and I had to use one so that when I put the head at an 82.5 degree angle, the 'rear' tip of the star would point almost straight down and then I would have an extra 10" of machine travel (5" of total probe, tp2, extension length, -180 to 0 rotation).
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Only time I use one is for horizontal bores in vertical bores without space to fit the tool otherwise. A couple times for undercuts- but with just a standard TP20 the vertical hits are iffy at times.

Tom

Comment