Const of circle from sphere ??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Const of circle from sphere ??

    If given a particular diameter, and asked for the height, how would you do that ? I have no problem with doing a cone like this, thats easy.

    I need to pierce a sphere with a given diamter in order to output the height...

    Any of you genuises got any good ideas, I am out of them ???
    Jim Jewell

  • #2
    Originally posted by jjewell View Post
    If given a particular diameter, and asked for the height, how would you do that ? I have no problem with doing a cone like this, thats easy.

    I need to pierce a sphere with a given diamter in order to output the height...

    Any of you genuises got any good ideas, I am out of them ???
    Leave it for night shift?
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

    Comment


    • #3
      Height from centerline = SQR((SphereRadius^2)-((CircleDiameter/2)^2))
      Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

      Comment


      • #4
        F1 is the measured sphere.

        Change the height of the generic plane until you reach your given diameter.

        F1 =GENERIC/SPHERE,DEPENDENT,RECT,IN,$
        NOM/XYZ,0,0,0,$
        MEAS/XYZ,0,0,0,$
        NOM/IJK,0,0,1,$
        MEAS/IJK,0,0,1,$
        DIAMETER/50,50
        F2 =GENERIC/PLANE,DEPENDENT,RECT,$
        NOM/XYZ,0,0,0,$
        MEAS/XYZ,0,0,10,$
        NOM/IJK,0,0,1,$
        MEAS/IJK,0,0,1
        KR1 =FEAT/CIRCLE,RECT,OUT
        THEO/0,0,0,0,0,1,50
        ACTL/0,0,10,0,0,1,45.826
        CONSTR/CIRCLE,INTOF,F1,F2


        Sorry for my bad english.

        Comment


        • #5
          Here's another idea (besides leaving it for night shift):

          1) Construct a point at the center of the sphere.
          2) Construct 4 offset points equal to the radius you want (in X+, X-, Y+, Y-)
          3) Construct 2 sets of offset points of the 4 original offset points, 20 and 40mm (actual numbers, your choice) below the original points
          4) Construct a cylinder from the 12 points
          5) Intersect the cylinder with the sphere to make the circle you are looking for.

          I am not sure if this will work, but I do know if I were to do this in my cad software, I would come up with the circle you are looking for. You may have to change the up/down offset points to above instead of below to get the intersection you want.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
            Height from centerline of the sphere= SQRT((SphereRadius^2)-((CircleDiameter/2)^2))
            This is correct. I checked the math. I just added the "T" above to make sure you read that as "square root".

            I believe you would need to do an assignment and then create a generic feature with that as the x,y or z location (assuming the sphere center is 0,0,0). Then dimension the generic feature.
            Last edited by #2#; 03-20-2007, 12:51 PM. Reason: Clarify that the sphere center must be 0 to set x,y or z correctly in the generic feature.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
              This is correct. I checked the math. I just added the "T" above to make sure you read that as "square root".

              I believe you would need to do an assignment and then create a generic feature with that as the x,y or z location. Then dimension the generic feature.
              Thanks for the cleanup, double check, and explanation of how to apply it.
              Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
                Thanks for the cleanup, double check, and explanation of how to apply it.
                No problem, I trusted you were correct but I like to work through it myself to make sure I fully understand how to get there. I won't remember the formula but I will, for some reason, remember how to figure it out - which I can try to explain if anyone is interested.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks for the formula. Tried it , but haven't had time to really understand it just yet. I kinda figured it was SQRT....Tnx.

                  Update, got it to work properly, works great !

                  Tnx Again !
                  Last edited by jjewell; 03-22-2007, 08:37 AM. Reason: Update
                  Jim Jewell

                  Comment

                  Related Topics

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X