2017 R2 Vs 2018 R1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 R2 Vs 2018 R1

So my company has renewed our SMAs and I now get the chance to play with some fancy new features

Buuuuut this is where I need all of your help again.... Do I be brave and go for 2018 or do I go for 2017 R2?

I've heard good things about the stability of 17R2 and its the one I have recently had my training on so it would feel familiar, whereas 2018 I haven't really seen much about so it could be a gamble?

Are there many brave souls that have jumped on 2018 that can shed some light?
    Clearance is clearance.

They just released 2018 SP1 today. I am gearing up to implement it soon, but will need to do some testing before I officially release to production. 2017 R2 is a solid version however.

Comment

• JackMido
      JackMido commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought they released 2018 weeks ago!! Seems like I may have jumped the gun with this question a little bit lol This may be a stupid question but here goes... how do you do your testing before you put it into production? do you install them both and then just run the newer version on some parts and compare results?

I would HIGHLY recommend a thorough perusal of both readme's for the two releases under your consideration:
    ftp://wilcoxassoc.com/PC-DMIS-Versions/Release/201X_Rx SPx

Then you can decide what's best for your situation.
    For what I do, they're both about the same. 2018 has some new bells/whistles that are certainly attractive. BUT history shows that new demon features often come at the price of new infestations.
    It would have been nice to see implementation of fixes for more issues mentioned in the 2018 TechPreview in this SP1 release, but here's the deal as I see it:
    In the Hexagon ocean, there are the corporate groupers... who demand immediate attention.... and then there are small company sardines.
    We sardine types have become accustomed to very long waits.

Comment

• JackMido
      JackMido commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip mate, I have looked through the 2017 readme (more for tips on installing than anything though) but I will get both of them today and have a gander!

That's my biggest concern, I'd love 2018 just because I'd like to have the most recent version I could but if it turned out there were a shed load of bugs hidden away in it I would have a LOT of explaining to do, we haven't paid SMA in 6 years so it wasn't a cheap upgrade lol. I am definitely one of your fellow sardines so I should probably start getting used to long waits!

P.S that link doesn't work for me (I'm assuming it's because I'm in the UK) but I will find them on the hex site and post a link for future readers.

http://support.hexagonmetrology.us/l...-Release-Dates
      Last edited by JackMido; 03-28-2018, 02:00 AM.

• AndersI
      AndersI commented
      Editing a comment
      The link is missing one ftp, and is also generic, not specific. Use ftp://ftp.wilcoxassoc.com/PC-DMIS-Versions/Release/ to see all versions, and select the one you want to look closer at.

• JackMido
      JackMido commented
      Editing a comment
      Still not working on my end mate, I have always had this issue with wilcoxassoc addresses which is a real shame because there seems to be a lot of answers on this forum that are directed to it!