Position of a Hole to a Plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Position of a Hole to a Plane

I'm having a problem understanding how can you call out the position of a hole to the plane in which it resides. For instance, Datum A is the surface of a plate. The print then calls out a position to a hole drilled in the plate back to the plate surface. How can the hole be anywhere but the surface it's called out to? Thanks.

Datum's constrain degrees of freedom. In this case, the plane is controlling the perpendicularity of the hole axis.
    PC-DMIS 2015.1, SP10, CAD++
    Global 7/10/7, 5/5/5
    Renishaw PH10MQ, PH10M, TP200

Comment

• Jim Poehler
      Jim Poehler commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup! Machining 101, at its finest. And to think they thought they'd made a sphere. LOL

• Max Tasty
      Max Tasty commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm kind of partial to the squircle as an auto feature. It sure would help with them pesky slots manufacturing sometimes struggles with. ;-)

• VinniUSMC
      VinniUSMC commented
      Editing a comment
      All hail the mighty squircle.

True. But technically the feature is the entire surface of it, not a portion of it. I realize that that doesn't always translate to what people actually measure.
    PC-DMIS 2015.1, SP10, CAD++
    Global 7/10/7, 5/5/5
    Renishaw PH10MQ, PH10M, TP200

Comment

I agree with both statements, probably should have been a politician. I've seen this in other prints and always thought this was a meaningless. Thanks for input, appreciate it.

Comment

Also be aware, if the call out is to more than one hole (i.e. 6 x Ø10.0) then it's also controlling the holes to each other.

This is the more common case where you get Position callouts to a single datum.

Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

Bad callout, I fart in these engineers general direction. If you want perp, put a perp callout.
          PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP11

Comment

• KIRBSTER269
            KIRBSTER269 commented
            Editing a comment
            How dare you question the superior mind of an engineer?

• VinniUSMC
            VinniUSMC commented
            Editing a comment
            Except that they are literally the exact same thing, so what difference does it make?

I agree, why not put a Perpendicular call out instead of a Position to the plane?

Comment