beginners questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beginners questions

hi all , im using v4.1 im doing some simple on machine programing taking hits constructing features etc. i have 2 probably very basic questions .
    1. when i am changing a feature i/d to something more meaningful than cir1 etc the promt comes up "do you want to make this i/d the default" . what will happen if i say yes can anyone explain?
    when updating nominal sizes on program i get the prompt , "carry nomals back to feature" should i say yes or no what changes will occur ?

thanks in advance

joe

Originally posted by joes64 View Post
    hi all , im using v4.1 im doing some simple on machine programing taking hits constructing features etc. i have 2 probably very basic questions .
    1. when i am changing a feature i/d to something more meaningful than cir1 etc the promt comes up "do you want to make this i/d the default" . what will happen if i say yes can anyone explain?
    when updating nominal sizes on program i get the prompt , "carry nomals back to feature" should i say yes or no what changes will occur ?

thanks in advance

joe
    1. It will change your labeling default for the features. Let's say, instead
    of CIR1 you name it STUD1. next circle you create automatically will be named STUD2, STUD3, etc.

2. Will update the THEO and TARGET values of the dimensioned feature.
    sigpicIt's corona time!
    737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAÑOL

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto View Post
      1. It will change your labeling default for the features. Let's say, instead
      of CIR1 you name it STUD1. next circle you create automatically will be named STUD2, STUD3, etc.

2. Will update the THEO and TARGET values of the dimensioned feature.
      so is it good practice to update THEO and TARGET or is not that critical ??

Comment

so is it good practice to update THEO and TARGET or is not that critical ??
        Well...if you continually see that question popping up, that means you are not programming with correct nominals/vectors.
        For example, you take hits and create a circle, at that moment the THEO diameter is 1.001.
        But later, when recalling dimension per drawing Diameter is 1.000 +/-0.002 the software is letting you know that there is "conflict" between what you told him to check and what you are reporting.

That's why I personally prefer to write my programs with 3D model (CAD) that way all nominals/vector are per design...no such prompts on the screen.

Hope you understand my "spanglish"
        sigpicIt's corona time!

Comment

Well...if you continually see that question popping up, that means you are not programming with correct nominals/vectors.
          For example, you take hits and create a circle, at that moment the THEO diameter is 1.001.
          But later, when recalling dimension per drawing Diameter is 1.000 +/-0.002 the software is letting you know that there is "conflict" between what you told him to check and what you are reporting.

That's why I personally prefer to write my programs with 3D model (CAD) that way all nominals/vector are per design...no such prompts on the screen.

That is not 100% accurate. Many blueprints "round", such that, the model may say 10.012mm, but the print says 10.0mm. Just a minor correction to your statement.
          sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

training has been very basic , plane line point alignment on the actual part. and creating features a you go along . then at the end updating I/Ds and nominals etc . any tips or hints or pitfalls with doing it this way ???

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
              That is not 100% accurate. Many blueprints "round", such that, the model may say 10.012mm, but the print says 10.0mm. Just a minor correction to your statement.
              Especially cads on mm. I agree James.

However, still programming per design.

Thanks.
              Last edited by Roberto; 03-17-2007, 03:03 PM.
              sigpicIt's corona time!

Comment

training has been very basic , plane line point alignment on the actual part. and creating features a you go along . then at the end updating I/Ds and nominals etc . any tips or hints or pitfalls with doing it this way ???
                any opinions welcome

Comment

If you can set up your feature/dimension ID's the way you want them to be, all the time, then do that BEFORE you start programming (using F5 ~ ID SETUP). Same with dimensions. As for creating nominals, if you are using CAD, that is not going to come into play, and I would suggest that even if you are NOT using CAd that you use the correct nominals when creating the feature, then you don't have to do that "UPDATE FEATURE WITH NEW NOMINALS" crap that comes up when you change a nominal in a dimension. Pitfalls, sometimes (and some versions) it does not correctly set the new nominals back in the feature when you change it in the dimension. Another pitfall is that you COULD get the same feature ID on more than one feature if you 'go back and change them at the end'. Unfortunately, Pcdmis will ALLOW you to have duplicate feature ID's, but it is smart enough to stop you from doing it with the dimension ID's.
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by AndersI
                  I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

any opinions welcome
                    As far as updating nominals when you dimension...

The way I program is to do all the measuring and then all the dimensioning at the end - don't know why - just the way I do it. Before I start dimensioning I run my program through to get dcc measurements. I do that so when I start dimensioning, I have all my measured values already.

The way I used to do it when I dimensioned... As I went through and entered my nominals, I compared the measured value to nominal before answering "yes" to "do you want to carry nominals back to feature?" Often times, I decided "no" was the correct answer because the feature was far enough off of nominal that the program would not run if I carried nominals back.

The way I do it now is I try to use the nominals when I program the features. I try to use mostly autofeatures and enter the nominals when creating the feature. When I do a learned feature and F9 to edit the number of hits, I enter the nominals in there. If I don't need to change the number of hits I will just edit the nominals in the edit window. As before, it is not uncommon for me to find features on my parts that are far enough off nominal (OOT) that I need to do some creative programming to use the nominals and have it be able to find the feature. So now, I have the "carry nominals back to feature?" question turned off and by the time I get to dimensioning, if it pulls the nominals from the feature they are mostly correct. I say mostly, because alignments and such will sometimes screw up the nominals on the dimension.

Comment

That is along the lines of running 25pcs of relatively long inspection run parts through- and then noticing that that True Position callout with different nominals never updated and all results are reporting wrong??

Made for a long day.

Tom H>

Comment