Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing!!

Sorry Folks I could not resist.

Why, oh why, do we keep on seeing all the posts relating to the problems and issues with pcdmis 4.1.

There has been endless discussion, postings relating to this topic.

The majority have stated (numerous times) that version 3.7mr3 is about the most stable at the time.

We keep being informed that v4.2 will soon be released. Will this also be a tremendous "let down"?

Why are versions of the software being released before they are "properly ready" for us, the end users?? (You know, the ones who pay the high fees each year).

We do not have the time to be "guinea pigs" for the testing of the "newer & better versions".

I am not meaning to offend anyone, but my purpose is to understand why.
    Why do we use "versions of pcdmis" that do not work? Why are versions released before they are truly ready?
    It seems that it's ok to collect the "sma" fees each year, and that's fine provided the end product works as it should.

So................as many have stated, if version 4.1 doesn't work right, don't use it, stick with what works.

Please consider this some polite rambling. The last couple of weeks have been quite trying to say the least.

There are many good folks here, with many great questions and answers.
    For that, I'm truly grateful. I'll leave off here for know.

May God Bless,
    ZydecoPete
    sigpic

Pete,

This gets discussed everytime a new version is released. Started after everyone was happy with V3.2063, they messed with the menu scheme and numerous other things. This was a major discussion about 4 years ago on the 'Old' version of this board.
    Just an FYI.

John
    When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warcholyk View Post
      Sorry Folks I could not resist.

Why are versions of the software being released before they are "properly ready" for us, the end users?? (You know, the ones who pay the high fees each year).

We do not have the time to be "guinea pigs" for the testing of the "newer & better versions".

Why do we use "versions of pcdmis" that do not work? Why are versions released before they are truly ready?

May God Bless,
      ZydecoPete
      I recievd the newsletter from Wilcox a week or so ago and there is an article about a BETA tester in it. Is sounded as though they are trying to get this stuff tested before they release it.
      Here is a link so you can read it: http://www.wilcoxassoc.com/Downloads..._News_V3.1.pdf

Now don't get me wrong here, I am not supporting nor rejecting PCDMIS. I know we have to live with what we get till something better comes along.
      This board is the biggest help I think there is.

Just my .02
      B. Jacobs
      B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment

Hey, I have not even used 4.1 and I hate it already..Let's kick it [email protected]!$#$#$ and then have a beer.
        sigpic

Comment

Alot of us are not the ones making the decision to have 4.1 on our CMMs. It's some other dipsh1t who is under the impression that we don't know **** because we are not paid as much or have the fancy job title and previlidges they do. I hate the smug look on their faces sometimes when I have to talk to one of them. The look like what your saying is stupid and they really don't care about what you are telling them. So, we're dealing with the horsesh1t that is handed down to us. I'll give you some e-mails if you would like to ask your questions of "why" to them.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm lucky, since I am the main programmer (usually the only one), my boss leaves the decision up to me. I've not seen any "enhancements" that would help us, so we stick with V3.2063.
            Wait till Wes, Matt, Craig and a few others jump in here, it'll get fun.....
            When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
            sigpic

Comment

You are preaching to the choir Brother Pete. I have issued the same sermon many times myself. Somewhere near the top of the Hexagon Adminosphere there is a stuffed shirt that has decreed there will be at least 1 major release per year. So there is. This divine policy has brought us the bliss of 3.6 and many other versions nearly as bad. The only good news I have to offer is the solace to be found in alcohol. Whiskey is better than most things! Wine, beer, and other spirits are pretty good too. HTH
              sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Pete, there are people that have no choice but to use the latest and greatest. I use NC. I have no option but to use this version because of the functionality it offers.

Yes, I seem to have resigned to having to live with what's out there. I find work arounds for virtually every problem it throws at me. The board is a great help, as are many people within Hexagon.

Of course, for me this is also unacceptable. We pay a lot of money for this. But it seems that we have to trade functionality for reliability. Difficult trade.

On the one hand, I am very happy with V4.2 being delayed for reasons of more testing. It was scheduled for November. And that's when I wanted it. But I can wait, if they keep rigorously testing it. I need it to work, more than I need it to mess me up more. So I wait.

Jan.
                PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
                Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

djayne,

My condolences to you. Fortunately, I am in the same position as John, I'm able to make the decision whether or not we should change "versions" of the software.

Thanks for letting me blow off a little steam.

Blessings,
                  ZydecoPete
                  sigpic

Comment

Wes,

I typically use alot of prayer. I believe that a combination of prayer and perhaps something alcoholic in nature (good Scotch of Whiskey) is in order.

I might just be tempted this Saturday. I'm at a business meeting in Batavia, New York that day (just happens to be St. Patricks' day). That's about as good as an excuse as any.

Wishing you all the best for today, as well as a Happy St. Pattys' day for those of you who are of Irish background, or those of you who just happen to enjoy some fun !!

May God Bless,
                    ZydecoPete
                    sigpic

Comment

same position here all versions have thier bugs have run 3.2, 3.5, 3.7mr2& 3.7mr3, 4.0 sticking with 3.7mr3 seems to have fewest bugs but if they didn't keep devolping they wouldn't get there sma's
                      sigpic
                      3.7 MR4

Comment

I too get to choose what version I use. 3.7mr2 But we do have to keep up with the other versions because some times we get programs from other vendors that are in 4.1.We then can save back to a later vesion.(they will not do that for us). Also in 4.1 I do like the TRANSFORM for the cad which lets you move th alignment of the cad to where you want it.. This comes in handy for some of the off the wall location of the cad to print alignment.
                        My two cents & yes the BEER helps tremendously
                        sigpicRegards,
                        Donald Henger
                        B&S Micro Excel Pfx
                        3.5mr2 & 3.7mr3
                        PHH10MQ, TP20 & TP2
                        Country Rocks,But Bluegrass RULES!!!

Comment