Calibration linked to alignment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calibration linked to alignment?

I am running a global image with ph10mq with an sp25 & 3.7mr2...

When i try to calibrate tips in a new (blank) program i measure a0b0 the manual/dcc way first. The problem is after i take the first hit the probe is not finding the sphere. If i open up the program that is always running on this machine i can calibrate no problem.

I have never had this kind of problem with tp20's or tp200's just this sp25!

Can someone help?

Thanks

Originally posted by spazus_maximus View Post
    The problem is after i take the first hit the probe is not finding the sphere.
    I think we might need some clarification on this part of your question. What is it doing? Does it give you and unexpected end of move? Does it just stop? Does it "crash" into the sphere?

Comment

After i take the manual hit on top of the sphere it does not find the sphere for the next hit it goes to the sphere but never makes contact?

Comment

Is your tool defined correctly? Is your probe defined correctly? Those would be my guesses. Is teh probe calibration in BOTH programs calling up the SAME tool and the same tip? You don't have any math operations in the names of either the TOOL or the TIP?
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Yes they are correct..In fact in the process of elimination.. I deleted & rebuilt both the prb files & the artifact...Let me ask you guys this. In the .prb file where do the x,y,z coordinates come from?

Comment

Yes they are correct..In fact in the process of elimination.. I deleted & rebuilt both the prb files & the artifact...Let me ask you guys this. In the .prb file where do the x,y,z coordinates come from?

Sphere Location in regards to Machine Home?, Last alignment scheme?

I thought it would always be 0,0,0 to the artifact itself But in AOBO my sphere is at

So where is this z from?

Comment

In the probe calibration window, which of the following options do you have selected: manual, manual+dcc, dcc+dcc, the other one I can't remember? dcc+dcc will take three "rough-in" hits after your manual hit to give pc-dmis a better idea of where the sphere is than your single hit. You might give that a try.

Also, if you are absolutely sure your probe and sphere are defined and built correctly, you might try in the program increase the prehit/retract to some large value (.5 in) and set the check distance to a large value (.5 in). Then see if it calibrates. If it does, go back adjust those values to something more reasonable and try again.

Comment

Tool location will be to machine home position, with some amount of error, it will be based upon a PERFECT tip build-up and prefectly straight build-up. However, as long as the machine has a 'set' location for the tool, it can and will calibrate the tips correctly. The individual tip data SHOULD be from the rotation point of the head only. This is why I will never calibrate less than 4 angles per probe file, even though B&S/Wilcox changed the calibration process so that you can. In order to correctly find the center rotation point for the head, you must make a sphere, which requirews a minimum of 4 points, so to correctly calibration the center of the head, you need 4 angles for it to construct the sphere and find the center.
                sigpic
                I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Sphere Location in regards to Machine Home?, Last alignment scheme?

I thought it would always be 0,0,0 to the artifact itself But in AOBO my sphere is at

So where is this z from?
                  I believe it is from the last home. Although, those numbers you put in there don't look much like it.

Comment

I do a man+dcc first ...if it works...i then follow up with a dcc+dcc and say no to has sphere moved.

I have tried increasing the check distance this will get the rough in hits taken but when it goes to scan it will fall off the sphere & keep scanning! In air!

The real question is why in one program & not the other?

Thanks Goodluck

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                      Tool location will be to machine home position, with some amount of error, it will be based upon a PERFECT tip build-up and prefectly straight build-up. However, as long as the machine has a 'set' location for the tool, it can and will calibrate the tips correctly. The individual tip data SHOULD be from the rotation point of the head only. This is why I will never calibrate less than 4 angles per probe file, even though B&S/Wilcox changed the calibration process so that you can. In order to correctly find the center rotation point for the head, you must make a sphere, which requirews a minimum of 4 points, so to correctly calibration the center of the head, you need 4 angles for it to construct the sphere and find the center.
                      What exactly do you mean by a set location?

Comment

Maybe you have already done this... calibrate in your existing program answering yes to the sphere moving. Then, close that program, open your new program and try calibrating by answering no to the sphere moving.

If you have tried that, have you tried a complete shutdown and re-start of the computer and machine?

You also said you were starting a new program. Try starting another new program and see if it works. Maybe something in that new program got screwed up. If another new program doesn't work, try opening the program where it does work. Save it as a different name and delete everthing up to the point where you are with the newly created program. See if it works then.

Comment

When you 'find' the tool manually, it 'assumes' a perfect probe build-up and 'sets' the location of the tool based on that perfect probe build up. Then, when it actually measures the this to calibrate the tip, it uses the 'set' location of the tool to calibrate the probe.
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks Goodluck & Matt.

I am currently calibrating in the existing prg. Then i will play around in a different prg.

The sad thing is we use this sp25 as a touch trigger probe & i have had nothing but headaches with it. Wish i could swap for a tp200!

Comment