Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimension vales from Excel to PCDMIS

PCDIMERS

I have an engine block with 12 different variation of the block. Within these 12 blocks there is a total of 61 different variables example (deck height has 3 different sizes spread across the 12 different blocks). I’m trying to not have 12 different block programs. Is there a way to have a table in excel and have it tie into PCDMIS?
    Thanks

Kenn

Sounds like a fun project!

It seems to me you have a few options...

1. How about marked sets for each of the twelve variations?

2. What about using operator comments & variables for conditional statements?

3. As you were originally asking..I am not sure how to use excel. I think you have to use txt files & and a Readblock...

I copied this from help..

C3=COMMENT/INPUT,Please type the name of the
    ,file code to search for.
    ASSIGN/BLOCKSIZE = LEN(C3.INPUT)
    ASSIGN/FILECODE = C3.INPUT
    DO/
    C1=COMMENT/INPUT,Please type the full pathway,
    ,filename, and extension to the
    ,file you want to process.
    ,Type [Q] to quit.
    IF/C1.INPUT== "Q" OR C1.INPUT=="q"
    COMMENT/OPER,You've chosen to quit. Program now ending.
    GOTO/END
    END_IF/
    V1=FILE/EXISTS,C1.INPUT
    IF/V1<>0
    COMMENT/OPER,"Data file [" + C1.INPUT + "] exists. Click OK to continue."
    FPTR=FILE/OPEN,C1.INPUT,READ
    V2=FILE/READ_BLOCK,FPTR,BLOCKSIZE
    FILE/CLOSE,FPTR
    IF/V2<>FILECODE
    COMMENT/OPER,"The file's code of [" + V2 + "] doesn't match"
    ,"the FILECODE of [" + FILECODE + "]."
    END_IF/
    UNTIL/V2==FILECODE
    COMMENT/OPER,"File [" + C1.INPUT + "] is a match."
    ,"The file's code of [" + V2 + "] matches"
    ,"the FILECODE of [" + FILECODE + "]."
    COMMENT/OPER,Program then processes the file.
    END_IF/
    ELSE/
    COMMENT/OPER,"Data file [" + C1.INPUT + "] doesn't exist. Please retry using an existing data file."
    GOTO/END
    END_ELSE/
    END=LABEL/
    PROGRAM/END

Comment

My suggestion is not to use text files if PCDMIS has to read its own text file back into itself.

Though the help file says it should work, it wont be predictable, and to make it so is not worth the time. Just speaking from experience.

Ive found its actually easier to get a VB or VBA script to upload the different variables from each Excel cell into PCDMIS with the PUTTEXT command (PUTTEXT only works from an external app, btw).

This wont be a 10min project, and some thought is going to have to go into how you'll define your table which store your varaibles in excel, and your feature definitions with in PCDMIS should have some sort of generic pattern to them, so you can utilize looping to reduce the amount of coding necessary.

Not trying to discourage you but it will be work. The good news is that completely possible to do.
      Mr. Comment
      SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
      B3C-LC Controller (Leitz Protocol), SP600M, TP200
      PCDMIS CAD++ v4.3 MR1(Build: 12/11/08)
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cumminsdesiel View Post
        PCDIMERS

I have an engine block with 12 different variation of the block. Within these 12 blocks there is a total of 61 different variables example (deck height has 3 different sizes spread across the 12 different blocks). I’m trying to not have 12 different block programs. Is there a way to have a table in excel and have it tie into PCDMIS?
        Thanks

Kenn
        As has been pointed out, this is not hard but good planning is required. I dislike Excel for this kind of project but rather prefer to use text files. I like to be able to edit these files with any text editor, and reading and managing the data in excel just adds a level of complexity that isnt worth the effort. But the advice to use VB as the tool to get the data is very good.
        Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

I get the feeling that you are trying to idiot proof the program selection process. Do you have operators who can't be trusted to navigate and find the correct part program? It would seem you are thinking one program where they input the part number and it runs the section of the program applicable to that block. Or, am I completely wrong in my assumtions?

Comment

If it is as Goodluck suggests an alternative could be to simplify the program selection process by creating a form which simply loads the correct version of the program.

The only real disadvantage to having 12 different versions of the same program is that if a feature common to all 12 were to change you would have to update the same thing 12 times. However customizing each program for each of the 12 would never be easier.
            Mr. Comment
            SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
            B3C-LC Controller (Leitz Protocol), SP600M, TP200
            PCDMIS CAD++ v4.3 MR1(Build: 12/11/08)
            sigpic

Comment