Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMM controller to computer hook-up ?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has ever had to hook a CMM controller to a computer via USB port and if so, did it cause any issues ? We are having to use a very small computer supplied by I.T.

Picture attached. USB to Controller pic.jpg
    Thanks for any responses.

Greg.

The first thing you need to do my friend is go here: http://support.hexagonmetrology.us/i...sp?folderID=63
    That webpage has a list of all of the PC DMIS releases and it lists the MINIMUM requirements your PC must be spec-ed out to in order to properly run PC DMIS. Ensure the "small PC" that was supplied by your IT Dept. has specs that EXCEED what your level of PC DMIS requires. If it does not, you'll experience a lot of crashes & will not get the most out of the software.

As far as the plugs you're asking about, I'll wait for another member to weigh in. Good luck, hope I was helpful.

Comment

• wrangler325
      wrangler325 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, you are very helpful and I'm inquiring about the small pc specs now. Thank you.

• DAN_M
      DAN_M commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem, goodluck. Hopefully someone chimes in soon about the plug

So you are trying to use the USB port on the PC to connect with the CMM's controller box? I've never tried it personally, however, I do know the biggest concern is if your PC is recognizing the cable and considering it a functional COM port.

In order to get a simulated COM port to work via USB, that cable needs specific drivers installed onto the PC, in order for windows to recognize it as COM.
    Did the cable come with a CD containing driver files? if not, that cable might never work.

We've deal with this many times here... the cheapo cables come devoid of drivers and are functionally useless.

Comment

• louisd
      louisd commented
      Editing a comment
      you can also get a COM port pci or pci express card if there are any motherboard ports available.

• wrangler325
      wrangler325 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great, I will definitely check to see if I.T. loaded drivers. Much appreciated.

Originally posted by wrangler325 View Post
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has ever had to hook a CMM controller to a computer via USB port and if so, did it cause any issues ? We are having to use a very small computer supplied by I.T.

Picture attached. USB to Controller pic.jpg
    Thanks for any responses.

Greg.
    I used it on an old PC where I needed 3 com ports (CMM, CMM_Ve and tesastar-R)
    It worked on the 3 config.
    Like louisd said, check the drivers.
    ​​​​​​​

Comment

• wrangler325
      wrangler325 commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do, appreciate your comments.