Quick Fixture question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Fixture question...

So I am building a fixture using the R&R components. One of the components is an adjustable jack stand AJ-50-20. Is there a way to change the length of the jack stand such that it looks correct when used in conjunction with other components? See attachment for example.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

James Mannes

I get it "close enough" by creating generic lines to then click and drag the edges of the fixtures to it, you have to zoom in all the way to get the best results. Best solution I could find.

Or if it's something extremely critical you may have to reverse engineer the components and draw up a model in your favorite CAD application.
    PcDmis 2015.1 SP10 CAD++
    Global 7-10-7 DC800S

Comment

That's the route I have taken. I have a huge generic "setup" that I start with in solidworks. I import my part, move and mate the standoffs / clamps I need and then delete the rest. Export and start programming offline. This make is so much easier to program as there are no nasty suprises at prove out with an unexpected clamp in the way or what ever it may be. Makes a setup sheet for the CMM fixture build so much easier with a screen shot on it as well. Operators run all their own parts here. Going to the assembly method has been a huge improvement here.

Comment

Using cad software is far easier then Quick Fixture. I use Solidworks to create a complete assembly of the Part, Fixture and CMM Fixture plate. In Solidworks I have created a library (Solidworks CMM Fixtures) in the Design Library. This Library is link to a folder on the server so I can access this file from any pc using Solidworks. Another affordable option is Fusion 360 that I have also created the same Fixture components file in the Data Panel (CMM Fixtures). Also, R&R Fixtures do have a software integrated with a CAD software from IronCad called Fixture Builder. Not sure what the cost of Fixture Builder is anymore. I haven't used this since 2009.

Comment

Thanks all for the responses. It is not that important that I would purchase FixtureBuilder, wonderful software, just too pricey for how much I would use it. I got the jack close enough and called it done.
          sigpic

James Mannes

Comment