Heres a challenge: Probe not stopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heres a challenge: Probe not stopping

We have a B & S 765 running PCDMIS4.1. None of our other machines have the following trait:
    While taking a manual Probe hit the servos do not shut off - the probe triggers but you can still keep driving the head right through the part (if you wished to spend a whole lot of money). Our other machines stop IMMEDIATELY WHEN THE PROBE TRIGGERS - Not so with our 765. Any Ideas - a setting somewhere perhaps? Hardware glitch? Let ME Hear ya'. This machine has always done this even through previous versions of PCDMIS. We've lost a lot of 1mm tips on this machine......
    sigpic
    Cold Beer MMMmmmm........

Dell Precision T5400
    Windows 7
    B&S XCEL
    WENZEL LH1512
    PCDMIS 2011 MR1

Not sure it would help, but there is a setting (somewhere) for a manaul retract value. I seriously doubt it would help you, but maybe putting a value it in will help?

Other option: Before my machine was retro-fitted, there was a little thing we called a pickle-switch in one of the control cabinets (big, huge things!). With it depressed (or un-depressed) I think the machine would do the same thing as you describe, it would register the hit, but not stop the machine.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I believe my B&S does the same thing. I never knew it was supposed to stop. I can see how that would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by rerun_lives View Post
        We have a B & S 765 running PCDMIS4.1. None of our other machines have the following trait:
        While taking a manual Probe hit the servos do not shut off - the probe triggers but you can still keep driving the head right through the part (if you wished to spend a whole lot of money). Our other machines stop IMMEDIATELY WHEN THE PROBE TRIGGERS - Not so with our 765. Any Ideas - a setting somewhere perhaps? Hardware glitch? Let ME Hear ya'. This machine has always done this even through previous versions of PCDMIS. We've lost a lot of 1mm tips on this machine......

Think this will have the effect you are experiencing?
        Last edited by John Riggins; 08-16-2007, 06:27 PM.
        Lately, it occurs to me
        What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

I have somewhat of same problem when hitting enable on jog box brown sharpe probe starts driving down in z axis any ideas would be helpfull just started happening could it be tp2 wore out or is it something with enable button thanks
          sigpic
          3.7 MR4

Comment

I've had a similiar issue and it was due to the scales. Clean them well and don't get the lube on them
            I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
            PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
            PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kass_b View Post
              I have somewhat of same problem when hitting enable on jog box brown sharpe probe starts driving down in z axis any ideas would be helpfull just started happening could it be tp2 wore out or is it something with enable button thanks
              Depending on which jog box you have, there is a spring and set screw under the knob. I have had the same thing happen to me. Check the spring and make sure it is not worn out. If it is the Z axis will drift when the enable button is pressed. Take out the four screws on the top of the knob, there should be a brass nut with a set screw in the side of it. Loosen the set screw and take the brass nut off. You should now be able to take the plastic piece the nut was set in off. The spring is under there.
              Kevin

Comment

I have the same problem.......our mitutoyos you take a hit and retract while on the BS Global you can take the hit and just keep driving the probe....there is no retract......its really quite annoying, especially on parts with small slots to measure.
                sigpic

Brown & Sharpe Global
                PC-DMIS v4.1

Comment

Kevin thanks for info will try that out soon as I get a free moment let you know how it turns out
                  sigpic
                  3.7 MR4

Comment

Kevin, just wanted to personally say thanks for info about spring spring was good but loosend set screw adjusted top screw about .5mm doesnt drift at all now.
                    sigpic
                    3.7 MR4

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                      I believe my B&S does the same thing. I never knew it was supposed to stop. I can see how that would be nice.
                      We have a Mistral 7.7.5 and it has never stopped for me when taking manual hits. I never knew it was supposed to stop. Is this a problem or is it normal?
                      ** "Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!"~ Ulysses Everett McGill **

Comment

While taking a manual Probe hit the servos do not shut off - the probe triggers but you can still keep driving the head right through the part
                        I used to run a Mistral and if you got a little too anxious (had your finger on the enable button and joystick and were just itching to get started on that part) as the probe was loaded from the rack or rotated ... THE PROBE WILL NOT BE ACTIVE... until you release the enable button. (the probe is still in the disabled mode from docking in the rack). Wait till the next command is displayed in the window then the probe should be activated. It took a few bent probes to figure this out for myself

Comment