MCR20 Tool Changer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCR20 Tool Changer

New to the Forum as of today. Appreciate any feedback anyone can give.
    I've been a PC-DMIS user now for 13+ years and until now I've never had a tool changer rack or (thought) I'd ever need one. I'm using PC-DMIS 2014.1 and have the Renishaw UCC server controller. The tool changer has been added and located through the UCC server but I can't figure out how to use it with PC-DMIS. Does anyone have the magic bullet to help get me started?? Appreciate it!

Do you have tool changer turned on in your license? Help...About...View License Details.

If it's not there, you need to add it. To add it, you need to pay, I think it's $1K if you bought your tool changer from Hexagon, $2k if you didn't. That's also assuming your SMA is current. If it isn't, you'll need to make it current.

If it is there, you need to go to the settings editor and search for "ToolChangerAvailable", change the value to 1. Then start a new program in PC-DMIS, go to Operation...Calibrate/Edit...Tool Changer

Comment

Welcome to the forum Bentley2012

Comment

EDIT/PREFERENCES/PROBE CHANGER, if you don't see this here, you don't have it. If you do, I'll walk you through it. Sorry we will walk you through it.
        Last edited by KIRBSTER269; 08-15-2017, 10:00 AM.
        (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
        They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

• Bentley2012
          Bentley2012 commented
          Editing a comment
          Apparently I don't have it. I located it through the UCC Server but don't see it in the EDIT/PREFERENCES and / or settings editor. Sometimes things work a little wonky between PC-DMIS and the Renishaw server, but I just don't see it as available. Oh well. Guess I'll just keep switching out tips manually as I've done now for nearly 15 years.

Bentley2012 Did you check your license to see if you have it? IIRC, it won't show up in the Calibrate/Edit window unless turned on in settings editor.

Do you have a HASP portlock or a "network" portlock?

Comment

• Bentley2012
          Bentley2012 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a network portlock. It doesn't even show up in the settings editor. Not even an option. My guess is that my company never purchased it. Weird when you think of it. I was hired 1 1/2 years ago to run the machine and it had a tool changer on it and it's even programmed into the UCC Server. Why wouldn't you purchase the additional license if you purchased the tool changer in the 1st place???

• RandomJerk
          RandomJerk commented
          Editing a comment
          Many times companies don't realize that there's an additional expense, the salesperson may not have noticed it (or stressed it enough), or there could have been conflicting information. It's also kind of an anomaly, I believe Hexagon is the only company that charges to unlock a tool changer. That you have a UCC server is irrelevant - in this case the software is controlling the probe rack. Renishaw and Hexagon don't play well with each other anymore, so there's bound to be some finger pointing there. I'm thinking that you're running PC-DMIS on the UCC server through the I++ interface? It would seem incongruous with that certification that it is unable to run the tool changer from the hardware, but I'm certainly no lawyer.

Now, if the tool changer was purchased from Hexagon at the same time as the machine was purchased, and it isn't there, then something was screwed up. That would warrant a call to the salesperson asking WTF.

IF you aren't using the 'latest & greatest' Pcdmis, you can program in the tool changer yourself, or make your own tool changer. However, at some point, they caught on to this and eliminated the ability for you to tell Pcdmis to NOT ASK the "load probe" question, thus the program STILL requires user input at the probe change, thus requiring you to purchase the add-on, unless you don't care if it stops and tells you to "load probe xxxxx" to continue.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment