Cone construction question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cone construction question.

I am trying to construct a cone out of 3 circles. The top circle is 60.800mm & the bottom circle is 60.730mm. So there is not much of a cone there. When I try to construct PCDMIS tells me the "math failed, combination of input features is not supported." Is this because the cone is at such a small angle it does not register as a cone? I cant think of any other reason 3 circles could not make a cone.
    MIKE OXLONG

I don't think PC-DMIS can construct a cone from circles, at all. Use points.
    "This is my word... and as such is beyond contestation."

Comment

Originally posted by jaymunday View Post
      I am trying to construct a cone out of 3 circles. The top circle is 60.800mm & the bottom circle is 60.730mm. So there is not much of a cone there. When I try to construct PCDMIS tells me the "math failed, combination of input features is not supported." Is this because the cone is at such a small angle it does not register as a cone? I cant think of any other reason 3 circles could not make a cone.
      I am not sure if it is too tight an angle for pcdmis to create the cone, but I do believe you need at least 6 features to create a cone. and a quick check of the help files says this also.

however I am pretty sure you can create a cone from a cylinder if memory serves me correct. Can you measure the circles as a cylinder at three different levels and try creating a cone from that?

Comment

Construct a cone from a few points and then change the bottom line to........

CONSTR/CONE,BF,CIR1.HIT[1..CIR1.NUMHITS],CIR2.HIT[1..CIR2.NUMHITS],CIR3.HIT[1..CIR3.NUMHITS],,

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

• VinniUSMC
          VinniUSMC commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, what he said.

• R2ah1ze1l
          R2ah1ze1l commented
          Editing a comment
          Wouldn't it go:
          CONSTR/CONE,BF,CIR1.HIT[1..CIR1.NUMHITS],CIR2.HIT[NUMHITS..CIR2.1],CIR3.HIT[1..CIR3.NUMHITS],, ?

cones usually force me to invert the point pattern for construction. (CW,CCW,CW) with 3. HTH

Shouldn't you use BFRE when using points from one kind of feature to build another kind - the probe compensations for the circle's points are done in the 'circle plane', which is not normal to the cone surface...
        AndersI
        SW support - Hexagon Metrology Nordic AB

Comment

• RandomJerk
          RandomJerk commented
          Editing a comment
          ^^^^^ this

• KIRBSTER269
          KIRBSTER269 commented
          Editing a comment
          Bingo !