Measuring a round hole - depth issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring a round hole - depth issue

This may seem simple but for some reason I am stumped. I am trying to measure a round hole feature but for some strange reason I cannot get the probe to go deep enough (to the shear). The measured surface lets call it C datum is the top surface. The shear of the hole is to the bottom, material thickness is 1.8mm. When I construct an auto feature (A-datum round hole) and set depth to 1.6mm the probe is staying close to the top surface and not dropping down at all; please someone tell me what I am missing here.
    Attached Files

Your code is too small to read.
    Is the probe going into the diameter?
    I have had trouble with "center" being on for a small hole because sometimes it would hit the side of the hole first.

Comment

Turn on and use sample hits if Mikeg's response is not the solution
      Jesse Krook

Comment

• Mikeg
        Mikeg commented
        Editing a comment
        Im just throwing out suggestions because I cant see the code.

• YGOLORTEM
        YGOLORTEM commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep me too. Wasn't saying yours was a bad idea

This feature is my 4-way datum in the auto alignment, after I run thru the manual it starts here. The only other thing I can think of would be to create another hole diameter changing the alignment using the new feature. New code!!! let me know if you can see this one.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Lord_Warfield
        Lord_Warfield commented
        Editing a comment
        The depth is set to 2. Change it to 1.65 and change the spacer for your sample hits to 3.

Maybe it thinks its a stud "outside circle..."

Comment

• qcfire65
        qcfire65 commented
        Editing a comment
        Look at the code, it is set up like a auto feature round hole and even looks like it in the program when I F9 bringing up that feature, it just won't go deep enough.

I had the depth set at 1.65 first but it is not deep enough, I am unable to get the shear of the hole and I am not having trouble with the spacer by the way, only the depth.

Comment

I thought if I changed my CAD model would help but it didn't fix anything.

Comment

Get those spaces out of your feature names mister...... A DATUM = NO GOOD......... A_DATUM= SWEEEEEET
          Its probably not causing your problem but non the less... bad habit..

Comment

• Mikeg
            Mikeg commented
            Editing a comment
            I used to always use spaces, dashes, and parenthesis, but as I started to use more variables I stopped using them. I never had an issue either way, just read about everyone else's problems and decided to use underscores to be safe.

• DJAMS
            DJAMS commented
            Editing a comment
            Just so happens I looked up the rules in the help file recently. "-" (dashes) are OK per the help file.Much to my surprise. Opens up a whole new world for me. (Kidding...). Kinda makes sense, considering that another rule is that labels must not start with a number.

• Mikeg
            Mikeg commented
            Editing a comment
            DJAMS that's crazy. Not sure if I will use them but good to know.

Can you turn on feature parameters and show hits and then repost the code
          Jesse Krook

Comment

Check if the "RMeas" is enabled.
            sigpicIt's corona time!
            737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAÑOL

Comment

• qcfire65
              qcfire65 commented
              Editing a comment
              No it is not.

Sort of fixed my issue, this time I will say bringing the depth up to 1mm seem to bring it down where I needed it to be; don't figure.

Comment

you have a depth value, and you can use a Z value as well.. have you tried using a Z value?
              B&S One
              PC-DMIS CAD v2014

Romer Infinity

Comment

• Milicron Mike
                Milicron Mike commented
                Editing a comment
                In metal stamping there is shear surface (good) and Break surface (bad) in each pierced feature. As the punch starts through the button pushing the metal through with it, it cuts and leaves a nice smooth on size feature until the metal weakens enough to BREAK the rest of the way out of the hole. You need to measure on the shear not on the break or you will induce error into your measurements especially if it's an alignment feature.

Mike

• qcfire65
                qcfire65 commented
                Editing a comment
                I am well aware of that Mike. I try my best to hit the shear.

• Milicron Mike
                Milicron Mike commented
                Editing a comment
                qcfire65 this post was for WolfMan who asked why depth could mess up an alignment.

Mike.

Could be an alignment problem, axis may be flipped.

Comment

• qcfire65
                qcfire65 commented
                Editing a comment
                This is my first feature (X, Y, & Z origin) within my alignment so I going to say no.

• WolfMan
                WolfMan commented
                Editing a comment
                he is got, Level to PLN1 and Z orgin to PLN 1... so it looks good.. You dont have to do Level first, maybe its a good idea, but it never effected my code in the past. i never just do the Level first, EVER

• Mikeg
                Mikeg commented
                Editing a comment
                One of the best things about PC-DMIS is that there is multiple ways of doing almost anything. Even though i do it one way, you may do it another and we both can be right.
                Everyone does things a little different and it works for them. As long as your dimensions are correct in the end, how you got there is on you.
                That's why i love seeing posts of everyones code because i learn a little from each one and sometimes i apply what i learned and other times i sit here and think, why would they do it that way?
                WITH OUR POWERS COMBINED.......PROGRAMMERS UNITE.........

is your probe build is correct? are you using the correct probe tip??

I would get rid of sample hits, find hole, all that crap, and then see if it works
              Last edited by WolfMan; 08-09-2017, 04:56 PM.
              B&S One
              PC-DMIS CAD v2014

Romer Infinity

Comment

• WolfMan
                WolfMan commented
                Editing a comment
                I dont get it, you made the depth shallower, and it went in deeper?

• qcfire65
                qcfire65 commented
                Editing a comment
                Bad practice I guess WolfMan, not setting my level first may have been the problem all along. Since I had the origin X,Y, & Z set first; the actual surface may have been skewed (bowed) so that the machine doesn't know where the surface is, sort of speaking. I will for now on create my alignments more carefully making sure the part is aligned correctly or to the best I can make it.

• WolfMan
                WolfMan commented
                Editing a comment
                .it shows that you did level to pln 1, the alignment looks correct

Have you got thickness enabled for the feature? This would definitely change the depth

Comment

• qcfire65
                qcfire65 commented
                Editing a comment
                It is set to zero