Prehit/Retract Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prehit/Retract Issue

I am writing a program that has a measurement of small grooves. I put in a prehit and retract distance of 50 microns into the program, but when I go to take the manual hits, it still retracts from the manual hit 2.56mm. I tried changing this as a setting parameter, in the edit drop down, but it just added a new prehit line in my program. Does anyone know a way that I can adjust the DMIS so that I can take the hits without it retracting from the hit automatically? The probe bounces back and forth between the groove walls like a pinball bumper. I can't get the hits in order to write the program...

Adjust the MANRETRACT/ to the desired distance.

Comment

• VinniUSMC
      VinniUSMC commented
      Editing a comment
      Setting MANRETRACT (in the F5 menu, Part/Machine tab) to 0 will turn the manual retract "OFF", but it is a line of code, not a global setting. So you can switch it off and on if needed.

• Kp61dude!
      Kp61dude! commented
      Editing a comment
      May have to edit MANRETRACT in the FDC panel.

• Scott D. Haselden
      Scott D. Haselden commented
      Editing a comment
      Doing this in the f5 menu worked. Thanks! Also found this in the insert menu beneath the prehit and retract distance inputs.
      Last edited by Scott D. Haselden; 07-27-2017, 03:59 PM.

If this is for your manual alignment then I would suggest picking some different features to do your manual alignment from and then go back to these features in your DCC alignment. The area you are probing sounds very small to be doing it manually, which just adds time.

although what bfire said will solve your issue.

Comment

• Scott D. Haselden
      Editing a comment
      Fortunately, this wasn't for any of my alignments. the part is a circular disc, with 11 circular grooves cut into one side. The concentric grooves get steadily larger in diameter. The grooves are 1.55mm wide,with a small radius at the bottom, with a 1mm ball on the probe.

Scott, what probe size are you using and how big is the gap?
    IMO 50 microns prehit it's unreal (not enough for the probe to settle before taking a hit).
    sigpicIt's corona time!
    737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAÑOL

Comment

• bfire85
      bfire85 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. 50 micron is a crazy small prehit/retract!

• louisd
      louisd commented
      Editing a comment
      50 micron = ~.002" this is far too small for a prehit/retract distance.
      I wouldn't go under .015" prehit/retract.

• YGOLORTEM
      YGOLORTEM commented
      Editing a comment
      0.010" is the lowest I'll go anything beyond that is manually inspected

If you need 50 microns to get the probe into a feature that small this may not be a CMM job and better suited to another inspection method.

Comment

• Scott D. Haselden
      Editing a comment
      CMM is actually the ONLY way they have to get the dimension on site. no hard gage available

Might be a great opportunity to get the bigwigs to spring for a 0.5mm probe tip if you might run into this in the future.

Comment

• YGOLORTEM
      YGOLORTEM commented
      Editing a comment
      I run .3mm on a lot of my programs

Originally posted by fatso666 View Post
    Might be a great opportunity to get the bigwigs to spring for a 0.5mm probe tip if you might run into this in the future.
    Or a 0.3mm probe.
    Lately, it occurs to me
    What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

• bfire85
      bfire85 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a 0.3mm tip. I think I used a 0.1mm or 0.2mm prehit/retract on a few points for a profile I needed.

Scott, If the grooves are 1.55mm wide, with a 1mm probe you have room for let's say 0.13 prehit (instead of 0.05)
    I would turn the speed down prior to and I would also run the same part several times to verify the values repeat.
    Good luck!
    sigpicIt's corona time!
    737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAÑOL

Comment

• Scott D. Haselden
      Editing a comment
      I did put a slow down to movespeed 20 in the program, and changed my prehit/retract distance to .1