Bad controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad controller?

This morning I came into work, powered on the CMM and the servo on the controller would not power on followed by a lot of beeping. After wiggling the cables connected to the controller, and shutting down than powering the CMM back up 10 times. I finally got the controller to power on the servo. What is causing this issue? Does the company I work for need to purchase a new controller or is there a way to trouble shoot this issue?
    Attached Files

Was there wires loose? Sometimes just shutting down and restarting resets everything. I usually wait 2 minutes before restarting to give it time to reset. I'm not sure why it would take 10 times unless by the 10th time you waited a little longer in between startup.
    If you think it was a loose wire I would try to find and fix.
    As far as the new controller i'm not sure.

Comment

• SI_GUY_29
      SI_GUY_29 commented
      Editing a comment
      I waited awhile between shutting off and turning on. I'm really not sure if it was a loose wire or not. I was not receiving any error messages on the probe head controller unit either when it was happening.

• SI_GUY_29
      SI_GUY_29 commented
      Editing a comment
      As for loose wires are concerned. I just wiggled the wires and it started working. Im not really sure if it was the wires or not that is causing the issue

I'm with Mike: I'd rule out any loose cables/connections and then shut down/wait a few minutes/ restart to rule out computer brain farts. Other than these potential issues you could have connectivity problems or possibly even hardware failure, so rule out the simple stuff first.

Which jogbox is it?

Comment

• SI_GUY_29
      SI_GUY_29 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not quite sure. Its very old I know that much.

• SI_GUY_29
      SI_GUY_29 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just posted a pic of the jogbox

Usually if the light is blinking the probe is not seated properly. We have a head right now that keeps doing that and I have to tap the probe to reseat it. We ordered a new head but haven't received it yet.
    When we got the new CMM and I originally calibrated the probe the settings were a little different so I had to manually calibrate the probe first and then DCC. After that it has worked fine. Im not sure if updating the software would do the same thing.
    Have you got it to work yet?

Comment

• SI_GUY_29
      SI_GUY_29 commented
      Editing a comment
      Its not the PH-10 head. The head is working fine. The controller on the other hand will not turn on the servo. So, I can't operate the CMM manually or in DCC due to this issue.

• Mikeg
      Mikeg commented
      Editing a comment
      wow im an idiot I thought I was answering another post.

• Mikeg
      Mikeg commented
      Editing a comment
      i think there was a post the other week similar to this, i will look it up

How many times have you run over the wire with your chair?
    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
    They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

• SI_GUY_29
      SI_GUY_29 commented
      Editing a comment
      The second shift operator, I'm pretty sure he dropped the controller more than a few times. He needs to retire, poor guy. Hes an older gentleman and his hands are quite shaky. I just installed Velcro tape, so he nor I will elbow it off the table.

there is a post on 6/20/17 about the jogbox not working, its an older model and he was able to repair. Not sure if you have the same one but you should check out the post.

Comment

Is the controller box beeping, or the jogbox? if it's the controller box, it is likely a hardware issue... could be something as simple as a CMOS battery being dead.

Comment

• SI_GUY_29
        SI_GUY_29 commented
        Editing a comment
        It was the Jogbox

Here's the Jogbox. With the lights on, but when the issue happens. All the lights are off, after I hit the p/s reset button on the CMM and than it beeps alot.
      Attached Files

Comment