Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Tempcomp

Hello,

We have some parts with a very small tolerance (+/- .0002) and our 7.10.7 SF is in an uncontrolled area. I was hoping someone can walk me from start to finish the process of adding the temperature compensation to a program (whether its the manual or automatic method). We do not have a part sensor so the values from the axes would be fine. Also I also cant seem to find the serv1.stp file or thermal_OCX folder either which I've seen is needed for this to work, if anyone knows where I can get them? We would just like to have the temperature listed in our inspection sheet so we can correlate the data when comparing parts.

Thank you in advance!

Plus/minus 0.0002"? In an uncontrolled area??

I would highly suggest using another piece of measurement equipment (if at all possible). CMMs are great but they aren't always the best tool for the job.

If you MUST use a CMM (probably due to your boss that doesn't know how to interpret your calibration cert), I'd STRESS to you that you must control the environment the CMM is in and ensure the part has completely normalized to that environment prior to any metrology.
    SF7107(PCD), SF454(PCD), 152614(Quindos), 9159(Quindos), 7107(Quindos), B&S Manual, M&M Gear Checker

Comment

I learned how to set up temp comp thanks to a call to Hexagon support. It helped and I believe they have a file they can send you that explains how to set up temp comp. I realize this doesn't help you much, but maybe Josh has the document he can attach here. With that being said many CMMs don't have temp comp and if yours doesn't have it none of it is of any help.
      Additionally my personal opinion is your machine won't be able to meet your needs of checking a tolerance like that in an uncontrolled area with no part sensor. In fact even if you had a part temp sensor I would be iffy on it.

Comment

If you know the thermal expansion coefficient, you can measure the temperature of the part and correct the dimensions manually (not very accurate in front of your tolerance, but better than doing nothing!)
        If you can measure a known part of the same material, measure it and look at the deviations. You can also do it with a gage ring and a gauge block, it will give you an picture of your uncertainties ...

Comment

If you don't have the thermal_ocx file, or square black thermal probe on a cable attached to your machine, your CMM likely does not have temperature compensation integrated.
          It's an extra feature/option, like a sunroof or navigation in your car. You have the sport package, not the rubicon package.

Comment

I understand it is iffy, these are sample parts and we are working on getting hard gauges but in the meantime I figured we could try something. And I still feel it would be good for future use as well to add to our other programs. I guess I should have made sure our machine even has temperature compensation before pursuing this because I don't believe it does. Depending on what paint booths we have running in the shop the temperature can vary a good amount. We just wanted to record the temperature so we can correlate data of parts with similar temperatures. I figured the easiest way would be to just throw a couple lines into the code but I guess I'll have to manual take the temperature of each part and enter it. Thank you for everyone's time.

Comment

• DAN_M
              DAN_M commented
              Editing a comment
              Sal, please don't take what I am about to say the wrong way:
              It is INSANE to measure plus/minus 0.0002" on a regular CMM and expect accurate results.

Coefficiency of thermal expansion effects your part as well as your CMM (when measuring that tight). Even if you're machine calibrated PERFECTLY to Hexagon's NIST Traceable Standard and you qualified your probes with 0.0000000 STD Dev, you are still exceeding your machine's capability.

If you give us a bit more information on what you're trying to measure, one of us would be more then happy to recommend a better way to go about inspecting your part.

CMMs are a powerful tool but not always the proper one to be using.

The Serv1.stp file isn't required but makes life easier. But it's not as simple as just turning temp comp on or off. You'd need to know what sensors are assigned where on the controller. Not really something I can explain remotely.
            Systems Integrator
            Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence

Comment

If anyone has any setup instructions for the temperature I would also like to see it. We just got a new CMM and I would like to set this up. We are not using it on the older CMM either, I actually thought until today, I needed something else for that to work. I did not know the CMM came pre wired for the temperature.
              Thanks

Comment

• Mikeg
                Mikeg commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry to jump on board this post. I haven't searched anything on this and was taking the easy way. I will look it up

• KIRBSTER269
                KIRBSTER269 commented
                Editing a comment
                Lazy LOL

http://support.hexagonmetrology.us/l...31/Download/13

Error in best fit calculation

Comment