Scanning for dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanning for dummies

I'm very new to PC-DMIS and am trying to scan a relatively simple profile (view attached). I have a HP-S-X1h scanning probe and am running 2015.1.

I think I want to use a linear closed scan? Can anybody break down step-by-step the best way to approach doing this? When I try to insert one, it does not go all the way around the part, and is building a path for a touch trigger scan. It will scan auto-features fine though.

Thank you all very much,
    Robert
    Last edited by rrowsam; 07-14-2017, 05:29 PM.

1) make sure you're aligned to the datum scheme that is controlling the profile
    2) i would use linear open scan
    3) once aligned, go to insert/scan/linear open
    4) click on the tab that says "graphics". tick the box that says "SELECT", then click "DESELECT ALL", then physically click all of the surfaces on your model that you want to scan.
    4) once you're happy with your selested surfaces, click the tab that says "PATH DEFINITION". Now that you're in this tab with your highlighted surfaces still displayed, click three times on your model. Your first click will be your scan beginning point, the second click will indicate the direction your scan will go in, and your final click will be your scan's end point. but you're not done yet.
    5) now that you have the three scan points roughly where you want them by eye, go to where it says boundary points and edit the nominals as you see fit. If the picture you're showing us is facing the Z+ and you're trying to scan around the outside profile of that part, then you would want to edit your Z value to ensure all of your scan is going around at one level and not being applied lop-sided.
    6) Once you're happy with that, play around with the max and min incriment values to suit yours needs
    7) last but not least, hit generate. you should then see your scan go around your part. if this does not happen, then you need to increase the number of "CROSSINGS" which is located in the "EXECUTION" tab. Change the number from 0 to 1, then go abck over to the 'PATH DEFINITION" tab and hit generate again. If it still doesn't work, then go back and make your crossings value 2 and then re-generate. Once you see your scan go all the way around the aprt & once you have your XY or Z nominals set how you want with the proper hit increment spacing, then you've successfully applied the scan.
    8) At this point, you can apply a profile of a line tolerance to this scan. You can even attach a pic of the scan to the report if you wish.

Goodluck, hopefully this helped you out
    Last edited by DAN_M; 04-10-2017, 04:02 PM.
    Beep beep beep..

Comment

I'm not at the cmm to describe exactly what you have to do, but the closed scan stops when you cross a plane (cross plane) more than the number indicated.
      For example, if the scan crosses the X plane twice, and you write1 in the box case, then it stops at the first crossing.
      For the point to point, there's a list to indicate standard (point to point) or... ?
      Hope this helps, even if it's really not clear !!!!!
      Last edited by JEFMAN; 04-10-2017, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the help!
        I followed Dan's instructions and eventually got it to generate a scan around the entire outside of the part.
        However, it is generating a stitch type scan, not a smooth analog scan.
        Any thoughts?

Thanks!
        Last edited by rrowsam; 04-10-2017, 04:35 PM.

Comment

• bigtallanddopey
          bigtallanddopey commented
          Editing a comment
          There will be a drop down box when you are creating the scan that I am guessing will say normal in it. This needs changing to defined. Also there will be a second drop down box to the right of it that needs setting to find noms.

Hope my vague description helps

Set scantype to "DEFINED".
        PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP9

Comment

Just throwing this out there since I am getting better at using scans all the time. I have been given varying advice as to whether I should use DEFINED or RELEARN. This seems the appropriate thread to ask if anyone can tell me why one is better than the other or what the difference is, they both seem to work. BTW I know not to use MASTER for my programming needs, all off line here. Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Comment

Search this forum. There is a ton of information that myself and others have provided for scanning.

Couple things to add. Make sure probe comp is on and CAD comp is on if you are using CAD. Also, if you are using CAD make sure you have find nominal on as well.
            Jesse Krook

Comment

• YGOLORTEM
              YGOLORTEM commented
              Editing a comment
              Jim, My comment was directed at the O.P. however, Defined is when you have CAD relearn when there is no CAD available

• Jim Poehler
              Jim Poehler commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry about that and thanks.

• YGOLORTEM
              YGOLORTEM commented
              Editing a comment
              No problem. Always glad to help when I can

This isn't related to the original question, but I have one of my own.
            I want to take a continues scan over several surfaces. But PC-dmis only wants to scan certain sections of what I have. I suspect it doesn't want to scan because it has such a wide range of angles and vectors. Is there a way I can widen the angle range? or any other way to make this piece a continuous scan.

FYI: I won't actually be "scanning" the section I will be converting it into points and taking them individually.
            I want to be able to scan top of the centerpiece in the same scan
            scan.PNG

Comment