legacy profile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• legacy profile

Is anyone here familiar enough with legacy profile to explain the difference between form only and form and location? I think that form and location locks to the origin, but i am not sure how the form only works. I have a customer who wants to use legacy dimensioning and i am not familiar with it.
    Just because I act like I know what I am doing, doesn't mean that I know what I am doing. It's your fault for assuming...

It is what it says, Form Only. It looks at the feature to make sure it is shaped right.
    sigpic

Brain- Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
    Pinky- I think so, but where will we find an open tattoo parlor at this time of night?

Comment

When selecting the "Form only" radio button tells Pc-dmis to only determine if a particular profile matches the same form as its nominal.
      Form only ignores whether the "location of the profile" is outside of acceptable tolerance.
      sigpicIt's corona time!
      737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAƑOL

Comment

Form only I describe it as an overlay for a comparator that you can move around the overlay to "fit the form" so all surfaces can fit in between the tolerance band. If you can fit it in then it passes if you can not it fails.

Form and location ---same overlay but you must first locate on the datum then the profile must fall in between the tolerance bands

Your customer that wants you to use legacy dimensioning, you will need to have the alignment to match the feature control frame and the active alignment when you report that profile. Exact measure handles the alignment and fitting based on FCF for you.
        Last edited by Rich P; 03-27-2017, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Form only does a secondary fitting of the data, to determine whether the data conforms to the shape of the surface. It is regardless of location, meaning that the alignment/datum structure is ignored for that particular dimension.

This would be used when you see a profile callout with no datums in the FCF.
          "This is my word... and as such is beyond contestation."

Comment

thanks everyone for the help! i was just unsure of exactly how it works. I use Xactmeasure and build off of my FCF so i usually dont have to deal with legacy stuff.
            Just because I act like I know what I am doing, doesn't mean that I know what I am doing. It's your fault for assuming...

Comment

my final question then is if i have my alignment to A B and C datums, would form only work if my profile is called back to my B and C? my A datum is my Z level and B and C are x rotation and x,y location. I want share a print, but i cant due to security reasons. i could probably post the program though. I dimensioned the profile the way it was called with B and C on the print with exactmeasure and then tried dimensioning the same thing using form only, but non of the best fit options seemed to match my exactmeasure readings.

Comment

• daberger
                daberger commented
                Editing a comment
                That helps a lot. they have been checking this entire part with legacy dimensions for the past 10 years. Not it makes sense why we never seem to correlate. Thanks for your help!

• VinniUSMC
                VinniUSMC commented
                Editing a comment
                What Rich P said. Thanks Rich.

• daberger
                daberger commented
                Editing a comment
                thanks everyone!

Well, I use this analogy:
              Flatness is form only so if I check a profile to only get form out of it I usually think of it as flatness of irregular feature.
              Circular runout I see as circularity with datum reference. But this has to do more with GD&T than PC.DMIS.
              Anyway, I use Legacy almost exclusively so if I do form on profile only it can only be positive. Same as flatness; it can only be positive.
              Last edited by MattR; 03-28-2017, 08:20 PM.

Comment

There is a difference in Profile results depending on if you are using ISO standards or ASME Y14.5 standards. ISO uses highest deviation *2 and ASME uses the difference from the highest point to the lowest point. I believe Legacy only uses ISO standards. Keep this in mind when comparing Xact results vs Legacy results.
                I'm pretty good at drinking beer

Comment

• daberger
                  daberger commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I didnt know that. Thanks!