Profile of a surface vs. profile of a line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profile of a surface vs. profile of a line?

We have a customer that usually puts FCF’s on the various surfaces they want checked that have tighter tolerances, and then a .020” surface profile to the datums on everything that isn’t specifically marked.

On parts that are thin (~.125”) they usually give a .040” profile of a line to the datums. I generally use CONSTRUCTED FEATURE SETS and apply profile of a line.

On one of these “thin” parts they have added significant height (~2”) to some on the surfaces creating vertical walls with form on top. However, they have kept the profile of a line callout, and left out the surface profile callout option. I can’t deviate from that.

So my questions are:

Is profile of a line a 2D measurement? The top surfaces of the walls have detail; do I need to change the working plane to a side view?

If I have a bunch of hits on the sidewalls (at various heights) that I would usually construct into a CONSTRUCTED FEATURE SET and apply a surface profile, can I just apply profile of a line?
    CAD++ 2017 R1, Catia Translator
    B&S Xcel, Renishaw PH10MQ

ASME Y14.5-2009 - A profile of a line tolerance is a geometric tolerance that establishes a two-dimensional tolerance zone that is normal to the true profile at each line element... ....Since profile of a line is two-dimensional, it only applies in the view in which it is shown.

Not sure if that helps, but a snippet of the print and\or code too would help. HTH
    Hold my beer......what can possibly go wrong!!!

Comment

Yup, you need to be in the appropriate workplane when dealing with Profile of a Line.
      "This is my word... and as such is beyond contestation."

Comment