Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearance Cube

Good afternoon,
    I am creating a program using clearance cube. When using clearance cube, do I still have to put in the move points and optimize the path? I'm using 2015.1.
    Darroll
    2018R2

I find my programs far more efficient with clearance planes, incremental moves, and move points. The cube is a neat looking function that they try to teach you in training, but I have never used it in the real world.
    SF7107(PCD), SF454(PCD), 152614(Quindos), 9159(Quindos), 7107(Quindos), B&S Manual, M&M Gear Checker

Comment

So, It does add the moves????
      Darroll
      2018R2

Comment

Clearcube is like passthrough plane. Your sending your probe to coordinates a relative distance from your part and switching around what workplane is the dominant/secondary move locations. You will need to add movepoints yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrollh View Post
          So, It does add the moves????
          Yes, it does add the moves. Whether or not they are the most efficient moves you can have depends on the parts you measure. They are certainly among the easiest moves you can add.

Comment

It's been a while since I used it so someone correct me if I am remembering wrong. From what I remember is that it will not recognize or use move points or clearance plane moves if activated. It will only do the clearance cube moves with the possible exception of avoidance moves. (Or maybe it was if there was a move point it wouldn't necessarily stay out of the cube to get there) like I said, it's been a while now.

I had a part where I played around with the clearance cube. I was hoping for a program where you could run parts of it in any variation and it would run. The problem as I remember it was at a certain point in the program i could not guarantee that the probe would always be far enough away from the bridge when rotating so it wouldn't crash into the bridge. I sent in a ticket to Hex and they were not able to offer a solution at that time to ensure that the probe would always move far enough away to avoid the bridge.

If if I ran the program in full it would have always missed but if certain features were skipped it would result in a crash. That was the last I played with it. It was otherwise way too inefficient for me.

Comment

I wish they could implement an offset surface clearance plane, so a clearance plan which follows the curve of the part. I never use clearance plane or clearance cube because if I set the plane to 10mm above the highest point of the part it is then 150-200mm above the lowest point, far too inefficient.

Comment

Clear planes are really meant to be re-defined as you go. If you set 1 value and leave it there for the whole part I could see where you may be disappointed with tem.

Comment

Yes, the clearance cube will automatically add the moves for you. It will move around the cube by the specified direction that you had noted. The default is the tip vector. But like William says, it doesn't always move the probe far enough when changing angles. So be careful with that.

Comment

How do I see that Clarence Cube is ON or OFF? Can it be activated only for a small part of the program?

Comment

• acontero
                      acontero commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You can see if it is off/on when you open the clearance cube definition shortcut or by pressing ALT-C. From there, click on the status tab and you can turn it off/on for any feature.

clearance cube was/is an attempt to make Pcdmis "self programming" and like so many "shortcuts" it's actually longer.

While it might be useful for one-off or limited use programs, I sure would not ever use it for a program that is going to be run over and over and over and over due to the fact that it WILL take a lot longer to run the program. "Short-cut" for programming, "long-cut" for running.

While it might be handy to use "in a pinch", IMO you would be better off learning to use the other options Pcdmis offers. Once you learn them, you may find that you can program just as fast using those instead of the clearance cube, and you will have a much quicker program. In today's "lean world" saving 20-30 minutes programming, but losing 1 or 2 minutes running, isn't a trade-off that I would accept.

And Dopey, what you describe is SORT OF the old 'auto move' (now the avoidance move) option. A 'clearance plane' based on the vector of a feature and a distance you select.

sigpic
                    Originally posted by AndersI
                    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I used a clearance cube once on one of my first programs and found it to be far less convenient than they make it out to be, by the time you go through and adjust it for individual features. I rarely use clearance planes either. The most efficient method that I've found is to use auto features with clearance moves as much as possible and supplement with move points that are hand dialed in. The difference in programming time is trivial and the machine goes exactly where I want it to without any wasted travel.

Error in best fit calculation

Comment

Clearance cube is similar to how Calypso works isn't it ?

Comment

OK you guys & gals, here are the facts about Clearance Cube circa early February, 2017:

1) It's an On/Off Mode that when toggled ON sends additional commands down to the machine controller to make additional moves towards the part before a feature and away from the part after a feature.
                          The idea is exactly like our competitor's clearance cube, it's a safe zone easily generated around the CAD file of the part and relative to your alignment.

2) The additional movements do NOT show up in the program as code, you have to trust it.

3) Every feature you create after you turn the Mode ON has three important Status settings, which can be viewed and edited on the Clearance Cube status dialog:
                          a. Motion Active: On or Off,
                          b. Which face of the the cube to approach the part from before the feature is measured (can also be turned On or Off),
                          c. Which face of the the cube to leave the part from after the feature is measured (can also be turned On or Off).

4) The Default setting for which face of the cube it chooses for 3b & 3c is the face that's closes to the current Tip vector. It wasn't like this when they released it, the default was the Feature surface vector so it made awful crashes with sides of slots. Some annoying Apps Engineer made a JIRA that convinced Wilcox to make Use Tip Vector the default, so it's way better now.

5) It works BRILLIANTLY for many kinds of parts, especially parts with minimal fixturing. It saves a ton of time because ALL navigation is automatically taken care of and works great, plus you can re-order the entire program in any possible combo without worrying about moves, or execute chunks of it at will. This works extremely well with Mini-Routines, which is the advanced high-tech version of the old Marked Sets mechanism. I've had some great successes with the Cube because of this.

6) If you have a part with lots of fixturing that obscures much of the part, you're going to have to add extra movepoints anyway so the Cube may not save you much time.
                          Also, if you have a ton of 'dangerous" tip angle changes with a wrist holding a long probe build, then extra movepoints will need to be added for those too.

7) While it works OK with added Movepoints, it is incompatible with Clearance Plane. Don't mix the Cube and the Plane.

8) Lastly: do NOT use Clearance Cube with a Star-tip or L-tip probe build on a wrist. On a fixed-head it works well, but there's a bug (JIRA #PCD-96017) that affects star-tips on a wrist.

Comment

I use clearance cube all the time. Saves much time for me in programming. If needed I stick a relearn move in areas when offline programming.

I can adjust which place it starts from and comes out from.

As Josh said. It works really well due to the fact that you can use mini routines. The operators have no clue on what to mark or unmark if trying to only run a certain featuresituations. With mini routines you just click what you want run.

I have not succeeded yet in doing a read point alignment with a clearance cube, which will be a separate post.

Comment