Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inserting the CAD MODEL after the fact

hey folks.....Question....
    We have several programs here that were written manually using the 1st pc part. Now I'm going in and inserting CAD models after the program has been written. I'm doing this for continuous improvement so we can insert scans and such.
    Here's how I'm doing it:
    I go into Solidworks and draw a block.....I then create an assembly out of the newly created block and the CAD model I want to insert......I do this so I can get my oreintation correct (X-Y-Z oriented the right way).......Then I delete the block and my cad model is oriented the way I want it.....I then save to IGES.....
    ok.......then I create a new PCDMIS program and import the cad model. Then I do an 3-2-1 alignment to set my zeros.....(offline).......THEN, I open up the exisiting program and copy and paste the contents (just below the manual alignment) into my new program with the cad model.....
    So far, this has worked well although there are many steps to go through......
    Here is my question.....sometimes, my CAD model seems to be a few thousanths off location.......What can I do to make this process better and more accurate?

Thanks for your input....
    Cyrus H. Bearden
    Huntsville, AL.

I've had good results just importing the .iges model (from Solidworks) directly into my part program (backed up of course), and hit Cad=Part. As long as the XYZ 0's are the same in the model as they are in your program, you shouldn't have a problem.
    sigpic Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather a skid in broadside, totally worn, proclaiming WOW What a ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Gardner View Post
      I've had good results just importing the .iges model (from Solidworks) directly into my part program (backed up of course), and hit Cad=Part. As long as the XYZ 0's are the same in the model as they are in your program, you shouldn't have a problem.
      CAD=Part, thats what I use when I import a CAD model into an existing program. Works pretty well.
      Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
        hey folks...
        Here is my question.....sometimes, my CAD model seems to be a few thousanths off location.......What can I do to make this process better and more accurate?

Thanks for your input....
        Cyrus H. Bearden
        Huntsville, AL.
        Up to the alignments everything is OK?
        The few thousanths off is because the original program was not created with Cad.
        Try this (make a copy), turn on "FIND NOMINALS". Open it on "Offline" mode and execute it. Look at the features nominal...did they get updated?
        If so, save and close.
        Turn off FIND NOMINALS before running on-line.
        sigpicIt's corona time!
        737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAƑOL

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto View Post
          The few thousanths off is because the original program was not created with Cad.
          Try this (make a copy), turn on "FIND NOMINALS". Open it on "Offline" mode and execute it. Look at the features nominal...did they get updated?
          If so, save and close.
          Thank you, sir! This I've gotta try, don't need it in my present position (mostly bent over) but need all the knowledge / tricks I can master for the future.

Thanks,

TK
          sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment

You could probably eliminate the block in your solidworks model. SolidWorks will let you set up the axis in any orientation that you would like.
            In the PCDMIS portion you could start your new program with the model and manual alignment and save the alignment - Then recall that alignment at the beginning of your DCC program and import the Cad by reference from your alignment program.

I like to keep the whole program together and use mark sets though and I don't have much luck when it comes to pasting an entire program below an alignment. So, I have imported the Cad and under each of the manual aligment features in the program I just redo the feature by touching the Cad model and then modify the manual alignment definition.
            sigpic

Comment

I ran into this situation today. I programmed a 1st piece without using CAD and now I find out that we had a CAD model. I try to insert the CAD model like Doberman but not having good results. The CAD is not align to the 1st alignment.

I also tried to import the CAD model as a reference but the model is shrunk and way off to the location of the 1st alignment.

Also tried to import the model straight to the program but I can not find the option for (CAD=Part). I usually see it in the alignment window but it is not there anymore.

The CAD model is a step file with all the axis lined up to the first alignment.
              Starrett 4040-24
              Renishaw PH10M head
              Renishaw TP200
              PC-DMIS CAD++ 4.2!!! crashed my probe into the table
              Moving on to 4.2mr1

Comment

CAD=PART is no longer in the alignment section, the BIG question is why?

As for it's location, OPERATION ~ GRAPHICS DISPLAY WINDOW and you will find it about 1/2 way down.
                sigpic
                Originally posted by AndersI
                I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto View Post
                  If so, save and close.
                  I always use "Find nomunals during execute" (further down on list)
                  Whats the difference between "Find Nominals" and "Find nominals during execute"?

Comment

FIND NOMS will find the nominals on a cad model when you manually probe the part (NO previous known nominals or point even, for that matter), FIND NOMS DURING EXECUTION will find new nominals from the cad model when the program executes. No matter where it touches, it will find the closest piece of cad data and find the nominals for the location it just touched at.

FIND NOMS DURING EXECUTE can be a handy feature, but it can also be a BIG curse. No machine runs perfectly or will even move exactly, within the micron, of the nomainsl, true vector. There is drift. So, if you have this turned on and check, lets say, 500 parts, one after the tother, and you machien has drift (just like all the rest of them), you could see the point and it's nominal 'walk' accross the face of the part. Say you machine lags slightly (5 to 10 microns) in the X- axis, so, with the find noms during execute turned on, each time you take the point, the nominals of the point will change 5 to 10 microns in the X axis. After 500 parts, you could see the point move 2.5mm to 5.0mm in the X axis. Not good!
                    sigpic
                    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Since the points already exist - wouldn't he have to use find nominals during execute?

Comment

Yeah, he wanted to know what the difference was between the 2 options.
                        sigpic

Comment

Make a copy of your program. Make sure that your CAD model is in the same orientation as your alignment in the program. Place your cursor on the alignment which you would have done your CAD=Part if you were starting a new program. For example I do a manual alignment and then measure the same features in DCC mode and then do a CAD=Part to the DCC alignment, so I would put the cursor on the DCC alignment, go the Operations, Graphic Display Window and CAD=Part. It is important where you have your cursor in your program when you do CAD=Part in this situation.
                          Global Status 12-22-10
                          Global Performance 9-15-8
                          CAD++ 2015.1_SP7

Comment