Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tessellation

Here is one for you to think about.
    I installed pcdmis 4.1. I thought things were going pretty well but soon ran into an issue with my cad models increasing in size every time I opened the program. I spent 2+ hours on the phone yesterday with B&S and we were unable to solve the problem.
    What we did end up discovering was that for some unknown reason, on some but not all of my programs, the tessellation value would automatically change when the program was opened. Each time the program was opened the value would reduce in size, thus increasing the cad file. I could set it to 1 and the next time I opened the program it may be at .24 and each time there after the number would get smaller and smaller.
    The interesting thing was that it does not happen in all of my programs.
    As I stated: B&S was stumped by this one. They said that they had not heard of this and there was nothing in the database about it either.
    I thought that I would toss it out to you all to see if you had any ideas.
    Have any of you heard of this or noticed it happening?

pcdmis4.1
    windows XP pro x64

Originally posted by Neal Pedzinski View Post
    Here is one for you to think about.
    I installed pcdmis 4.1. I thought things were going pretty well but soon ran into an issue with my cad models increasing in size every time I opened the program. I spent 2+ hours on the phone yesterday with B&S and we were unable to solve the problem.
    What we did end up discovering was that for some unknown reason, on some but not all of my programs, the tessellation value would automatically change when the program was opened. Each time the program was opened the value would reduce in size, thus increasing the cad file. I could set it to 1 and the next time I opened the program it may be at .24 and each time there after the number would get smaller and smaller.
    The interesting thing was that it does not happen in all of my programs.
    As I stated: B&S was stumped by this one. They said that they had not heard of this and there was nothing in the database about it either.
    I thought that I would toss it out to you all to see if you had any ideas.
    Have any of you heard of this or noticed it happening?

pcdmis4.1
    windows XP pro x64
    Well, I have heard about the cad file increasing in size on either 4 or 4.1, HOWEVER, the tesselation value has nothing to do with the size of the cad file, it has to do with HOW the file is displayed on the screen. A tess value of 1 will make a small hole look like a hole when zoomed right up to it, and tess value of 10 will make it look like a hex shaped hole. Even though it looks like a hex, the actual cad data is still a hole and it will select like a hole. I don't know which idiot at B&S told you that the tess value will change the cad file size, but they are full of it. I just checked and using a tess value of 1 has a file with a cad file size of 493KB and after changing the tess value to 25 and opening the file and saving it, the cad file was still 493KB in size. I will try a fractional number next (thanks to B&S it takes like over a minute to load and start up etc.).
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

The inrease in size has something to do with the version you are saving to. More than likely you are opening an old program in 4.1 and it is saving it to 3.7? Delete the bloated CAD, re-import, and "save as" "part program"(that will save it as a 4.1 program). The problem should be gone. This same issue happened in 3.5 or 3.7 also at one time.
      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

I have actually noticed this too. CAD files seem to grow. I also thought they ought to stay the same size, but the younger the file, the bigger. Mine vary just slightly, but the are growing as I go along...

I'll check also start to look at this tesselation issue.

Jan.
        PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
        Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment