Position and Profile of Slot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Position and Profile of Slot

Hello, I have a part similar to what is attached calling for a profile and position of a slot. My thought is to take planes on the 3 sides of the slot and construct a cylinder which I will use for the position. Profile I can dimension each plane. What do you experts think? Thanks in advance.
    Capture.JPG

You have position of the width, and profile of the top face. Two completely seperate things.

The width (if you have 2014 or newer) can be done with Auto-Width feature. If you don't have 2014 or newer, then you can use opposed points to construct midpoints that you construct a mid-plane off of. If you don't have MMC on the feature, then there is no need to do anything fancy.

The top face is simple. Take a few points and create a set from them to dimension profile, or for legacy, just report the T values with your origin on C.
    "This is my word... and as such is beyond contestation."

Comment

To add to what Vinnie already offered
      Position is to mid plane of slot to center of C in the X as drawn in screen capture, for profile I would expect there is a Basic to that surface of flat in keyway from the C center in the Y as shown in drawing screen capture.

Comment

I need to give you some tough love on this one. Brush up on your GD&T. It will only help you. Being able to read a print correctly will help you check it correctly to that print. Vinni's got this one.

Comment

Don't think I've seen profile on a keyway like this usually a dim from center to edge, (not saying its wrong) but is your broaching set so old, its not cutting well? or is this just the new way of defining this on the print? just talking out loud
          Last edited by KIRBSTER269; 01-18-2017, 11:53 AM.
          (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
          They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

You say it's similar to this one? How similar? It would only take the slightest change to completely change the meaning on this one. As this one is drawn, Vin has your answer. If your drawing is only slightly different you may be led down the wrong path if you don't know what you're looking at. For example, just adding a little circle at the bend of the profile leader line turns it into a double/contradicting callout. So, how similar is this really to your actual print?

Comment

• Schlag
              Schlag commented
              Editing a comment
              I missed the "similar" part...

Thanks everyone. This is exactly how its called out on the print with different numbers. I had to use a constructed width, but it worked for the position and did the profile on the back face only. That makes a lot more sense than what we've been told as far as profile.

Comment

• Schlag
              Schlag commented
              Editing a comment
              FMC as in FMC in Fridley Minnesota ?