Parameter out of tolerance???!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parameter out of tolerance???!!!!

Friday I wrote a program, ran the first piece and program ran fine. Come in today, the operator said the program would not run. Machine parameter out of tolerance. Okay, verified the program was as expected; no un-expected errors. Run the program again, and " machine parameter out of tolerance". It looks as if the Z+ hits are the cause-----------Plane A = Z (-1 inches) vector 0,0,1. Recalibrated the probe. Re-homed the machine. Shut down the computer and machine and re-accomplished everything. Still the same error. Even tried it on a different machine and program ran fine. Checked the operating parameters all are good. Speeds, etc....... It will run if I set the Z to -0.5 but nothing greater than that. By the way, the actuals are Z = -1 in. Prehit and Retract are set to 1.5 inches. Puzzling to say the least..................
    So I adjusted the Prehit and Retract to 1.25 and program now runs fine. I just don't see why the Prehit and Retract parameters would cause this scenario (Problem). Because these operating parameters are not beyond the scope of the machine. Any ideas?

You don't have a Move point in there that don't belong do you? or you might have to make a new plane or "Z" or Datum A whatever you called it. or can you bring in a virtual CMM offline and see if it makes any goofy moves? or give us a bit of your code and let us see if we see anything unusual.
    Last edited by KIRBSTER269; 01-09-2017, 02:27 PM.
    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
    They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

Nope. checked that also. Wished that I did.........would have made sense then.

Comment

I had a program where I got that message right after the manual align. It was the move point at the end of the program that would be a -Y- over travel. Took me forever to figure it out. Typically it will give you the alarm at that feature / command. That is not always the case.

Comment

It is just a weird that it would give this error just for 'PREHIT and RETRACT' distances.

Comment

• Schlag
            Schlag commented
            Editing a comment
            That does seem odd.. Why such a gigantic prehit distance ?

To get up and around the part with out crashing into it.
          Using the base plate as a Datum simulator.

Comment

How close to the limit are you and what is your check distance set to?
            Systems Integrator
            Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence

Comment

Within 1.5 in of travel limits. Here is the code when I was getting the error.............
              Code:
                            [COLOR=#FF0000] PREHIT/1.50
                              RETRACT/1.50[/COLOR]
              A1             =ALIGNMENT/START,RECALL:STARTUP,LIST=YES
                                ALIGNMENT/ROTATE,YPLUS,TO,PLN_B,ABOUT,ZPLUS
                                ALIGNMENT/TRANS,YAXIS,PLN_B
                                ALIGNMENT/TRANS,XAXIS,LN_PRE-C
                                ALIGNMENT/TRANS,ZAXIS,CIR_CBH
                              ALIGNMENT/END
              PLN_A          =FEAT/CONTACT/PLANE/DEFAULT,CARTESIAN,OUTLINE
                              THEO/<6,0,-1>,<0,0,1>
                              ACTL/<6,0,-1.009>,<0.0001073,0.0000291,1>
                              TARG/<6,0,-0.75>,<0,0,1>
                              ANGLE VEC=<1,0,0>,SQUARE
                              SHOW FEATURE PARAMETERS=NO
                              SHOW CONTACT PARAMETERS=YES
                                NUMHITS=3,NUMROWS=2
                                SPACER=0.5
                                AVOIDANCE MOVE=BOTH,DISTANCE=1.5
                              SHOW HITS=YES
                                HIT/BASIC,<11.597,5.303,-1>,<0,0,1>,<11.597,5.303,-1.009>
                                HIT/BASIC,<4.695,17.935,-1>,<0,0,1>,<4.695,17.935,-1.009>
                                HIT/BASIC,<-1.886,11.028,-1>,<0,0,1>,<-1.886,11.028,-1.008>
                                HIT/BASIC,<-1.877,-11.976,-1>,<0,0,1>,<-1.877,-11.976,-1.007>
                                HIT/BASIC,<4.165,-18.424,-1>,<0,0,1>,<4.165,-18.424,-1.007>
                                HIT/BASIC,<11.079,-5.355,-1>,<0,0,1>,<11.079,-5.355,-1.01>
                              ENDMEAS/
              And the code when I reset the prehit and retract.........
              Code:
                             [COLOR=#FF0000]PREHIT/1.25
                              RETRACT/1.25[/COLOR]
              A1             =ALIGNMENT/START,RECALL:STARTUP,LIST=YES
                                ALIGNMENT/ROTATE,YPLUS,TO,PLN_B,ABOUT,ZPLUS
                                ALIGNMENT/TRANS,YAXIS,PLN_B
                                ALIGNMENT/TRANS,XAXIS,LN_PRE-C
                                ALIGNMENT/TRANS,ZAXIS,CIR_CBH
                              ALIGNMENT/END
              PLN_A          =FEAT/CONTACT/PLANE/DEFAULT,CARTESIAN,OUTLINE
                              THEO/<6,0,-1>,<0,0,1>
                              ACTL/<6,0,-1.009>,<0.0001073,0.0000291,1>
                              TARG/<6,0,-0.75>,<0,0,1>
                              ANGLE VEC=<1,0,0>,SQUARE
                              SHOW FEATURE PARAMETERS=NO
                              SHOW CONTACT PARAMETERS=NO/

Comment

• VinniUSMC
                VinniUSMC commented
                Editing a comment
                Why is your plane's target at Z -0.75, when the theo and actual are at -1.00?

• brian.freeman
                brian.freeman commented
                Editing a comment
                I changed the target to see if this was the culprit. Didn't change it back.

Well this reminds me of problems I see with check distances. PC-DMIS will not move within 2.5x the check distance near a limit as a function of the find hole routine. So if you have a check distance of 1", you can't get closer than 2.5" of your limit without throwing a machine parameter out of tolerance. This is not a bug, this is a function of find hole which takes your check distance and multiplies it by 2.5 to generate the path for a find hole routine, this parameter is set globally so that find hole doesn't accidentally hit a limit during execution.

Systems Integrator

Comment

Ok. So why would one machine get this error and the other not??!! All the parameters are identical from machine to machine; here.

Comment

Machine size or placement of the part in the measuring envelope. If one CMM is smaller and or the part is closer to a limit on one machine vs the other you could get this on one machine but not the other.

Mike
                  You can never tell exactly how deep a mud puddle is without getting your feet wet -- Dennis the Menice

Comment

I wouldn't really think that this has anything to do with it, but if this is your first alignment. I don't see where you level anything. and your LN_PRE-C should that not have a dash in there? I'm just throwing things out there that might be a problem. and if this isn't your first alignment, your recalling it to STARTUP. Without seeing everything, that's all I got
                    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
                    They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

• brian.freeman
                      brian.freeman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nah--I know you're only trying to help. But this is the only time that this hasn't worked on this machine. The prehit/retract was the culprit. But what is also puzzling is that the Avoidance move Both = 1.5 (not changed by the way); Only when the prehit and retract changed to 1.25 did this clear the problem.
                      Last night, I had my night shift programmer create another program (offline); same parameters as this program and run it. No problems. So I change the prehit and retract to 2"; still no errors where experienced. I think the program just got a 'brain fart'.

• KIRBSTER269
                      KIRBSTER269 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      brian.freeman, You could have told us this from the beginning, turd I have one of those corrupt programs myself. after I run the part, I have to close it, then open it back up in order to run it again. If I go to run it the second time without closing it PC-DMIS crashes
                      Last edited by KIRBSTER269; 01-10-2017, 12:01 PM.

• brian.freeman
                      brian.freeman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      KIRBSTER269 -- I used to have a program like that but, I reprogrammed it and it works fine now. I just wished that it wasn't 20,000 lines of code. This one just boggled me; how could 1.5" be the problem and 1.25 not. Just seems quite odd. So I deleted the prehit and retract commands and reinserted them. Haven't re-run the program yet. But will see if that is the solution.
                      Thanks again for picking this apart.

If machine exceeded the check distance however, wouldn't it popup with "Unexpected end of move" error, and not the 'Parameter out of tolerance' error?
                    I bet it has to do with the sample part/fixture forcing the machine to orient along the very edge of machine travel extents for just one of your demons. Once it crosses those hard travel limit due to part/fixture variation, error would popup saying I can't go that far, or I'd break, "Parameter out of tolerance".
                    Sidenote, have you guys ever seen the quirky british error codes that Aberlink SW produces?! They at least provide some comic relief when --ish happens. :-P

Comment

Originally posted by louisd View Post
                      If machine exceeded the check distance however, wouldn't it popup with "Unexpected end of move" error, and not the 'Parameter out of tolerance' error?
                      I bet it has to do with the sample part/fixture forcing the machine to orient along the very edge of machine travel extents for just one of your demons. Once it crosses those hard travel limit due to part/fixture variation, error would popup saying I can't go that far, or I'd break, "Parameter out of tolerance".
                      Sidenote, have you guys ever seen the quirky british error codes that Aberlink SW produces?! They at least provide some comic relief when --ish happens. :-P
                      Nope, you can add (Check distance * 2.5) to your limits and if a move will ever invade that zone it will produce a parameter out of tolerance. It will not even attempt to make the move so you will not see an unexpected end of move.
                      Systems Integrator

Comment