Serialization Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serialization Error

I am using PC DMIS V4.1. I was running my program and PC DMIS shut down. I went to open it back up and got a "Serialization error: ALT", and it will not open. I tried rebooting, changed the name of the probe file, and deleted the associated CAD file. I still get this error. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    -Steve Wittenberg

try deleting probe file and results file from pcdmis directory
    sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

When it shut down was it perhaps in the process of writing the program?
      If so, you have a corrupt program.
      Has happened to me many times,
      is why I will will not use auto-save,
      it just increases chance of this happening in my opinion.

Comment

Running the parogram, that measn the program was all done being created. Do you have a backup of it (like you should)? Not to be a jerk, but unless you created that program 100% all on the same day as your problem, you should have a backup somewhere from the day before. Daily backups are pretty much a requirement when working with Pcdmis.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Did PC-DMIS crash while you were saving your program?

If that is the case, you are in BIG trouble. No way to recover.

Make sure that you have the hotfix installed if you run XP (look for previous posts here, search for hotfix). That helps a little. Other than that: Like Matt said, back-up, back-up, back-up, back-up, back-up, back-up, back-up, back-up, back-up, back-up, back-up, back-up, back-up, back-up, back-up, back-up, back-up, back-up, back-up, back-up, back-up, back-up,

Jan.
          PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
          Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Just in case Jan didn't get his point across:

BACK UP!
            When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by John Kingston View Post
              Just in case Jan didn't get his point across:

BACK UP!
              BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP (I'm backing up!).
              sigpic
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP (I'm backing up!).
                Is there a WIDE LOAD load sign on your bumper.
                When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                sigpic

Comment

So let me see if I understand this right.... you guys are saying I should back up my programs ????????? :-D
                  Since I gave up hope I feel much better !!!

Comment

PC DMIS is new to me, so I thought my bases were covered with the auto-save function...big rookie mistake!! I'm making backups today!!
                    On the "serialization error ALT" I was in the process of proving my program, is this program more than likely gone?

Thanks for your help.
                    -Steve Wittenberg

Comment

I would try what i said previously & if the program won't open then your screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wittenberg View Post
                        PC DMIS is new to me, so I thought my bases were covered with the auto-save function...big rookie mistake!! I'm making backups today!!
                        On the "serialization error ALT" I was in the process of proving my program, is this program more than likely gone?

Thanks for your help.
                        -Steve Wittenberg
                        Sorry, but I think there is no hope.... Last August, this happened to me daily! Installed the hotfix and it went down to once a month. Obviously still totally unaccepable.

I ONLY have it happen to me during a SAVE operation. It happens when I press Ctrl-S or go through the File menu. Right after I press one of those, I see the "progress" bar get more blue. And if it halts somewhere in the middle, I am dead meat. I lost that program and have to go back to an older version. I can never repeat it. It just happens.

I am so paranoid now that I not only save a back-up of ALL my programs EVERY day (wrote an automatic batch file that executes once a day in the background), I also wrote a script that saves a program EVERY time it gets run (or executed). I am "proud" to say that I have not lost more than a few hours of work lately.

Of course, this is quite bizar to even have to bring up. But it seems that he who works with Demons, will learn to enjoy to live among demons.

Jan.
                        PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
                        Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

What's to keep the backup from getting corrupted.

Comment

Originally posted by calbritton View Post
                            What's to keep the backup from getting corrupted.

Absolutely nothing....Just an added enhancement to the software.

Comment

That is why CD (or DVD) backups are a very good idea.
                              sigpic

Comment