Alignment?? to bad print

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment?? to bad print

I'm having a brain fart here, it is Saturday so not thinking straight. Datum_A is a Surface, Datum_B is a surface. and Datum C is a width. The picture shows exactly how it looks on the part. how do I align all 6 degrees of freedom here?
    My A is level "Y" and origin "Y"
    My B is origin "X"
    that's where I'm stuck ABC.png
    Last edited by Josh Carpenter; 12-12-2016, 10:09 AM.
    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
    They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Based on your picture the C width OR the B plane mean nothing. Whichever one is first in the DRF would control rotation and X origin. There appears to be no Z axis control here. Could you post a snip of the print?

Comment

• KIRBSTER269
      KIRBSTER269 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm at home give me a bit to capture a picture

My take would be A for level Y and translate Y, B for the rotate to X , mid point for C for translate X so yes one translate Z missing to lock all 6 degrees. Is there no other feature referenced that you can use.

Comment

• KIRBSTER269
      KIRBSTER269 commented
      Editing a comment
      No, that's where I was confused about.

11st.jpg22nd.jpgFirst one shows A and B second one shows C
    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)

Comment

• VinniUSMC
      VinniUSMC commented
      Editing a comment
      Holy crap Kirby... Whoever drew that was smoking some serious crack.

• KIRBSTER269
      KIRBSTER269 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I had to smoke some crack to understand it. I get it now.

part.jpg

heres a pic of it slightly tilted to the right. I'll probably origin "Z" off the plane around that circle
    Last edited by KIRBSTER269; 12-10-2016, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I would plane align on ' A ' using both sides of the slot faces to create the plane and translate to this also . Rotate and translate to face ' B ' , datum ' C ' is mid plane/point and would only cause concern if you have a DRF that that calls ' A|B|C then it would possibly be rotate to ' C ' only and Translate to ' B '

Comment

• KIRBSTER269
        KIRBSTER269 commented
        Editing a comment
        I will say this UKCMM, There are no callouts for A|B|C, just A|B

So all in all this is a bad callout. There is nothing locking down the "Z", according to the way I laid the part out, and print is incorrect. All though I'm not surprised everytime I get a new print, this seems to be an issue. So solution to this problem was to correct the print. Oh and as always, Thank you all for your help and input.
      Last edited by KIRBSTER269; 12-12-2016, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Just curious, how did they change the print to fix it?

Comment

• KIRBSTER269
          KIRBSTER269 commented
          Editing a comment
          They told me to origin C to the back surface. So basically perpendicular to the existing C. That gave me my "Z"