setting password

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting password

I have tried to set pc-dmis 3.7 and 4.1 so that when a operator runs the machine they are not capable of altering my programs or deleting files.
    I am logged in as administator and have a separate logon for them.
    I have tried to set up under properties and security but the left side stays grayed out . Any help would be welcomed
    PH10MQ------ TP200
    CHAMELEON 15-30-10
    PCDMIS 2010

All you can really do is make the programs READ-ONLY, but they will still be able to alter them WHILE they are open, it's just that the changes can not be saved. Currently, there is NO protection in Pcdmis to prevent alterations being made while a program is open.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
      All you can really do is make the programs READ-ONLY, but they will still be able to alter them WHILE they are open, it's just that the changes can not be saved. Currently, there is NO protection in Pcdmis to prevent alterations being made while a program is open.

That's what we have done here. Just make certain that you back-up the original program on a CD or store it somewhere they can't get to it. I can't tell you how many times I get from some of our operators "Why is the program doing this?". I just tell them to close the program and re-open it. Everything magically works the way it is supposed to then????
      sigpic
      Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
      PCDMIS 2012
      Windows Office XP

Comment

Even Read-only is no real protection. All the monkey has to do is un-check the box and he can save any changes. Operator Mode is probably the way to go for you, but when you exit pc-dmis you are logged off and all applications are closed. We should have the option choose not to be logged off.
        v2013 MR1, v2015.1
        B&S Global 544, 555
        Mitutoyo A504 w/PC-DMIS

sigpic
        Since 1994

Never force anything. Get a bigger hammer.
        (Advice from my dad.)

Comment

Yeah, but I think you can 'protect' the read-only by the permission setup, admin only can change that, others can not, but it would have to be set-up per user.
          sigpic
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Does setting the read-only attribute have any negative effects? eg. Is there any aspect about the running program that needs write permisions such as count maintenance, incremental reporting features.
            Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Originally posted by Allen Long View Post
              I have tried to set pc-dmis 3.7 and 4.1 so that when a operator runs the machine they are not capable of altering my programs or deleting files.
              I am logged in as administator and have a separate logon for them.
              I have tried to set up under properties and security but the left side stays grayed out . Any help would be welcomed
              Need to talk to CMM operators not to alter programs or give more training.
              sigpicIt's corona time!
              737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAƑOL

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
                Does setting the read-only attribute have any negative effects? eg. Is there any aspect about the running program that needs write permisions such as count maintenance, incremental reporting features.
                Using READ-ONLY will make the program:

1) Give a no-problem error when closing since it can not save
                2) THe stat count will ALWAYS start with the same number
                3) The print-to-file report will TRY to start with the same number, but if it is NOT set to over-write or update, then it will either prompt or index by itself, not sure, I don't use it (my monkey be smart!).

There are 3 that I can think of off the top of my head.
                sigpic

Comment

We have had that problem in the past.
                  we recently started using a software called Subversion wich stores all the programs on our server protected from access by the online seat (operators)
                  Every morning when they fire up the cmm computer a batch file runs in the background while the computer boots and over writes all there changes in the components folder on the C drive that they are not alowed to make any ways.
                  programs are back to the way they were written.
                  My offline seat can read/write to the server so changes have to come accross my desk for them to happen.

Comment