V-Block Gage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Block Gage

I have a v-block which has 5 holes which were edm'ed at the bottom of the v. They are supposed to be exactly on center of the v and they should be square to the v as well. I am trying to check this.

I start out with a manual plane for each side of the v. Then, I created a line where these two planes intersect. I aligned as much as possible to this line and one end of the block (to set y orgin). Then, I re-measure everthing DCC. Before doing the second alignment, I level to each of the side planes and created offset points from the intersecting line (3,-3,0 and 3,0,0 for one plane; -3,-3,0 and -3,0,0 for the other plane). Then, I created a plane from these offset points. I leveled this plane to z and rotated the intersect line to y. Then I set the x and z orgins on the line and set the end of the block to the y orgin.

I then measured the holes as cylinders and dimensioned thier x location. All of them are coming up .0105 off center.

Anyone see any problems with the way I am doing this?

DCC Alignment
    Measure the Vee faces.
    Measure the End face.
    Intersect the vee faces to form a Veeline, Level to the Veeline.
    Intersect Vee face 1 with end face(create faceline1)
    Intersect Vee face 2 with end face(create faceline2)
    Create mid line from the facelines. Align that line.
    Intersect the Veeline with the end face. Set XYZ origin on that point.

Now measure your other features.
    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

OR

Measure V-FACE 1
      Measure V-FACE 2
      Measure END face
      Level Z to FACE 1
      Rotate Y to FACE 2
      Set Z origin to Face 1
      Set Y origin to Face 2
      Set X origin to END
      Rotate about X axis 45 degrees (1/2 of 90)
      sigpic
      Originally posted by AndersI
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

quick check to see if your really off .0105. set up on surface plate and check location of holes with micro-hite.
        sigpic
        Southern Man don't need him around anyhow!

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
          DCC Alignment
          Measure the Vee faces.
          Measure the End face.
          Intersect the vee faces to form a Veeline, Level to the Veeline.
          Intersect Vee face 1 with end face(create faceline1)
          Intersect Vee face 2 with end face(create faceline2)
          Create mid line from the facelines. Align that line.
          Intersect the Veeline with the end face. Set XYZ origin on that point.

Now measure your other features.
          I'll tried that. Got the same results as with my way.

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
          OR

Measure V-FACE 1
          Measure V-FACE 2
          Measure END face
          Level Z to FACE 1
          Rotate Y to FACE 2
          Set Z origin to Face 1
          Set Y origin to Face 2
          Set X origin to END
          Rotate about X axis 45 degrees (1/2 of 90)
          I don't like that last step. It assumes the two faces are at exactly 90ยบ.

Here is the real problem...

I measure as above and as in my first post. I come up with .0105 off center. I had written another program for this same v-block on friday. With it I came up .0052 off center. After thinking about it over the weekend (I know, I need help) I decided the way I did it on friday wasn't the best way. So, now I have a "good" program which says .0105 and a "not so good" program that says .0052. I went back to edit the "not so good" program to make it a "good" program. I put in the alignment steps as in my first post. It still says .0052! I re-ran the program all the way through and it says .0052! I run the program I wrote this morning and it says .0105!

The only thing I can figure out is that I use a 4X20 tip and a 2X20 tip in friday's program and only the 4X20 tip in today's program. Both tips were calibrated prior to running the program without moving the sphere etc, etc.

I need to get these two programs to give me the same results! I am to report my findings to the machine shop and they are supposed to fix the gage by grinding one side of the V until the holes are centered. They need to know how much to grind.

Comment

Have you tried turning the v-block 180 degrees and checking it to see if the bores are now off in the other direction?
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Why not Level the line of the plane intersect, rotate to the line of
              one of the cross-drilled holes. Report the X of the cross-drilled hole
              (this is the centerline you are looking for anyway) You can report Perp of crossline to Y axis and if you need to know if this is perp in ZX plane, you
              could measure a line in ZX across the bottom or top of the block. Simple and straight-forward. If this is designed to center a cylinder, you could also
              place a ground cylinder in V to level (GAGE PIN).

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
                I'll tried that. Got the same results as with my way.
                Then maybe the holes are off location..

Intersect the cylinders with the Z origin plane and compare those coordinates.
                Last edited by cmmguy; 02-26-2007, 12:23 PM.
                Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                  Have you tried turning the v-block 180 degrees and checking it to see if the bores are now off in the other direction?
                  Yep, I tried that too.

I took the original program (friday's) deleted all my dimensions and re-dimensioned the hole locations. Now they report .0105! All I did was delete the dimensions and reinsert them. Nothing else. Some days, I hate this machine.

Comment