Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCDMIS Advanced Training

$2k for advanced training....worth it?

I read the syllabis and doesn't like it's worth it to me...
    I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
    PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
    PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

$2K!!!!! I sure hope you have a BIG jar of vaseline if you are going to take it like that!
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Good question...

Two of us at the company I work for have been planning to take that class for the past year and have been wondering the same thing. Did you take the Cad or Cad++ class? Was it worth the $$ ???
      sigpic
      Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
      PCDMIS 2012
      Windows Office XP

Comment

For 3.5 I just got the lab book.. Being that we do not have cad++ on the machine it would not have been worth it. Anything else that was covered if I needed help it was right here on the forum
        sigpic
        if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

Get the book (lab exercises), and forget about the 2k. You might be able to haggle the price (maybe) for the class. You will learn the same stuff from the book, and asking questions right here.
          2K...Cheese and rice...
          Kev
          RFS Means Really Fussy Stuff

When all you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail....
          sigpic

Comment

You already know more than they do. You will learn as you go, as needed. As a new situtation arises, Post here. TaDa.
            sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

The main thing I would love to get some training in is the Basic Scripting feature of PCDMIS. I prefer not to try learn PCDMIS's Basic scripting language on my own. Anyway, it's listed in their syllabus for the advanced training, but then again they probably won't go too far into it....
              I used to be high on life but I built up a tolerance.

Brown & Sharpe Global Advantage
              PCDMIS CAD++ v2011mr2
              PH10MQ/SP600M

sigpic

Comment

If your going to do a lot of Hyper Reports, Visual Basic interphase or automation in your programming I think it would be worth it. You could also take a VB class and gain a lot. If you have a need for that type of programming I would suggest it. Keep in mind this can very very time consuming as well.

There are a whole lot of people on this board that are pretty sharp at using PCDIMS ( God knows I have learned a lot form them, Thank You! ). I would assume you have some projects in mind. Post them here. Maybe that will help with your decision.

Bill

Comment

WARNING!!! The HYPER-REPORT is NO LONGER a part of PCDMIS in V4.0 If you are planning on using HYPER-REPORTS and you are also planning on 'keeping up to date' on the versions of Pcdmis, then learning ANYTHING about the hyper report at this point in time would be a waste of time, money, and effort.
                  sigpic
                  I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

if you do decide to take the class, i would suggest you write down any pc-dmis questions you have before you leave for class. there is usually time for the teacher to answer/discuss anything in the class. you can also bring parts and prints with you and they can help you on those too. if your company is willing to pay for it then by all means take it, it will always look good on your resume, plus its nice to interact with the teachers and learn new things. they will most likey have v4.0 on the machines you train on and you will get to see how v4.0 is working (if you don't already have it) and you get out of the plant for a week. at the end of the class you get a nice B&S advanced programming certificate.

Comment

Matt, just another thing that was free is now an pay for option?
                      sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

NOPE. After all these years of B&S saying how great the hyper-report is and, as far as I am concerned, pushing it's use, it has been eliminated completly. Starting with V4.0, ALL reports are done with a new format. They (B&S) say that there are some templates (exactly how many, I do not know) that come with the install of V4.0, but what they look like and how they will work is anybody's guess at this point (I don't think there are very many actually using V4.0 yet). No hyper-reports are supported in V4.0. You will have to create a custom template to make the report look like you want it, but how easy, how much, or how fancy can only be answered by someone who has actually used and learned to use this 'new, fancy-schmancy' template system. I guess this was the 'best' they could come up with after all (or most of us) of us ******!ng about the crappy RTF file format that Pcdmis did. So now, WE have to 'configure' the software to make it work. Gee, that's a WHOLE lot easier than it was for us programmers!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Underspec
                          The main thing I would love to get some training in is the Basic Scripting feature of PCDMIS. I prefer not to try learn PCDMIS's Basic scripting language on my own. Anyway, it's listed in their syllabus for the advanced training, but then again they probably won't go too far into it....

I took the Advanced class and found it very in depth with flow control and file I/O but was very limited to Basic scripting and/or hyper reporting

It was a good class none the less
                          sigpiccall me "Plum Crazy"....but you only go around once!

Comment

There is not a lot of actual script writing going on in that class (as I remember it. As already mentioned , it is mostly flow control. As winston said, if your company is going to pay for it, than by all means GO TO IT!
                            NEVER turn down 'free' training. And you will in all likely-hood learn some useful (and some not so useful) 'tools'.
                            Kev
                            RFS Means Really Fussy Stuff

When all you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail....
                            sigpic

Comment

I got a lot out of the classes that I took. Just the Basic, and Curves / Surfaces classes. I had run the software for about 3 yrs before I went, but still learned enough that I felt like an idiot. The instructors were more than happy to stay after for a little while to answer any specific questions.
                              sigpic Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather a skid in broadside, totally worn, proclaiming WOW What a ride!

Comment