Circle and line intersection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circle and line intersection

I'm trying to find the intersection point between a line (circled in red) and a circle (labeled CIR_REAR). The point that is given from the intersection command is circled in green. However, I want the lower intersection point, not the upper, which is what I assumed was given to me. However, the origin shown in the picture is apparently the origin of the circle. Which would mean that the point given doesn't make much sense. Is there something I'm missing or some other approach to this that I could try? Thanks!

Capture1.JPG

I have no help on this, but I had a similar issue. I was attempting to get an intersection point of a line to an edge of a circle not the centerpoint (the drawing called for an angle dimension of that point based on the alignment. I fought on PC-DMIS for a while and eventually gave up and put the part on the rock and had a wonderful elaborate setup with a height gage, protractor, and a bunch of holding devices. So, I am curious to see the possible answers the community has for your question.

Comment

Make sure you are using pierce as the method of construction. If it still isn't in the right location you need to reverse the vector of your line. The easiest way to correct it is to construct a line with the existing line. If you leave method as automatic, it will select reverse for you(or you can select it directly). Then pierce the circle with that line.
      PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

Are the line and the circle both 2D and in the same plane?
        AndersI
        SW support - Hexagon Metrology Nordic AB

Comment

Originally posted by Schrocknroll View Post
          Make sure you are using pierce as the method of construction. If it still isn't in the right location you need to reverse the vector of your line. The easiest way to correct it is to construct a line with the existing line. If you leave method as automatic, it will select reverse for you(or you can select it directly). Then pierce the circle with that line.

This - Pierce point is what you want
          Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

I tried using the automatic method, and it did use the "pierce" command like you said, but it gave me a point (PNT 2) at the same location as the first (PNT1).

Yes, the features are both on the same plane.

Capture3.PNG

Comment

• schmidth
              schmidth commented
              Editing a comment
              I only tried the automatic method, I didn't see the reverse option in the command. Am I missing something? Sorry!

• apgar
              apgar commented
              Editing a comment
              Construct a line, select your original line, and choose Reverse on the popup menu.

• schmidth
              schmidth commented
              Editing a comment
              It worked it worked! Thank you all sosososo much!

Also, why is it that pierce is preferred for this instead of intersection?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidth View Post
              Also, why is it that pierce is preferred for this instead of intersection?
              As stated in the help file for an intersect point:
              Constructs point at the intersection of the linear attribute of 2 features
              So the linear attribute of a circle is it's axis, not its diameter. To intersect the diameter you need a pierce point.
              PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

• schmidth
                schmidth commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah ok, thank you!