Dimensioning fluctuation by changing speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimensioning fluctuation by changing speed

I am using v4.1 on a B&S One 7.5.7 and am having huge fluctuation in linear measurements (in this case slot widths). If i slow the machine speed down either with the jog box or within the program my dimension results have jumped by as much as 30 microns! There seems to be no pattern to this. Had a tech come in and calibrate and all was good, but he witnessed this and was scratching his head. Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Whats your touch speed set at? I like my machine to fly, but this will also affect the touch speed. I use % settings and when my machine is flying, I have the touch speed at 1%
    Last edited by KIRBSTER269; 09-16-2016, 12:51 PM.
    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
    They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

I have tried so many different combos of touch speed and still same results. 2% is my usual setting but I have slowed down even more but with no improvement. The reduction in move speed is what is causing the wacky numbers.

Comment

Is this affecting one program or all programs?
        (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)

Comment

All programs. Certified with Koba and ball bar but run the measurement programs one speed one result, slow down, results jump all over the place. Different speeds, different dimensions. Crazy

Comment

Maybe do a machine shut down, reboot computer, make sure you clean scales and clean probes, check make sure probes are tight, re-calibrate and see if things change from there

Comment

I have gone through all that. Complete cleaning, switched out TP20s, installed new jog box because I thought that had something to do with it, even used the TP20 that technician brought with him to calibrate machine. No change...still getting the screwed up numbers at different speeds.

Comment

If you have done all this and your positive that alignments are correct. and this is an issue that has recently been occurring, and you have all exhausted all the easy stuff, that could be fixed. It might be mechanical. It might be time to call an expert in. I would check one more thing. all your filters and to double check your air pressure. Just a curious question, how old is the machine?

Comment

No air. Machine 10 years old. Gets even worse when I slow it down with the jogbox.

Comment

Well the best thing you can do is record a few parts at different speeds. Give the info to the boss and ask him what he wants to do about it. also laying parts out manually and getting the closest reading similarities. and keep running parts at that speed.

Comment

Slowing the JOGBOX down will effect the touchspeed as well as the move speed during a program. The only time I use the jogbox speed override is at program proveout when I am not concerned with measurement.

Comment

• sealevel
                        sealevel commented
                        Editing a comment
                        +1
                        I believe Don Ruggieri mentioned this in a prior post. I wasn't aware of this, but in essence, it seems that the bottom line is that changing speed via jogbox WILL affect the accuracy of the produced data.
                        (i would say search for his post, but the forum search function sucks).

Have you verified the slot width with Gage Blocks? We work in very tight tolerances all day. I have my touch speed set at .25 for shorter probes and .15 for longer probes. If I use a higher touch speed I don't get get reliable results.
                      Marty Dobson
                      Director of Quality
                      http://www.linkedin.com/in/mjdobson

PC-DMIS CAD V4.2 MR1 & V2011
                      PH10MQ
                      TP200

Comment

What kind of probe and stylus length?

Comment

What are your probe calibration settings for speed and touch speed? That is what you need to be measuring at. If you calibrate at one speed and measure at another your calibration may as well have been skipped. Leave your speed on the hand control at max ALWAYS. When you calibrate do the same. Any differences in speed between the two will induce measurement error. I'm not saying that this is 100% of your problem, but it is a problem.

Mike
                          You can never tell exactly how deep a mud puddle is without getting your feet wet -- Dennis the Menice

Comment

If you measure at your regular speed, say 2% touch, 75% move speed and record the results. Then increase your speed and record, then decrease your speed from the original and record your results and then go back to the original speeds and record. Is there a pattern from slower to faster speeds? do the results match up when you return back to the originally used speed?

Comment