distance between a line and circle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• distance between a line and circle

When dimensioning the distance between a line and a circle I am getting 2 different answers. If I do line to circle it is 6.2 mm longer than if I do circle to line. When I first programmed it I did line to circle and the dimension was out of tolerance so I went to engineering thinking I had a bad cad file. They checked out the cad file and said it was good so I started playing around with my program, trying different things when I came across this situation. Why would it matter what feature I choose first if everything else is the same??? Has anyone else seen this before?

can you post a screen dump of your graphics display window?
    Kevin

Comment

When you do LINE to CIRCLE, it uses the CENTER point of the line to the center point of the circle, when you do CIRCLE to LINE, it does the shortest distance, circle, perp to line, not to line center.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by AndersI
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Are you checking them to a axis or to one another?

Comment

I tried several things. I rotated to the line and set the 0,0 in the circle, and still get 2 different answers. I did a distance between the 2 and also did location of line. Location was good and so was distance if I did circle first.
          My opinion is they should calculate them the same no matter what order you use.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolyn McKean View Post
            I tried several things. I rotated to the line and set the 0,0 in the circle, and still get 2 different answers. I did a distance between the 2 and also did location of line. Location was good and so was distance if I did circle first.
            My opinion is they should calculate them the same no matter what order you use.
            BUT, when you select the line first, Pcdmis ONLY 'knows' a few things about it, really, the ends, the middle (which is what it reports for LINE LOCATION) and it's vector. So, when you select LINE first, it has to make assumptions, and it assumes that the center is what you want (what it reports for LOCATION) to start from.
            sigpic
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolyn McKean View Post
              When dimensioning the distance between a line and a circle I am getting 2 different answers. If I do line to circle it is 6.2 mm longer than if I do circle to line. When I first programmed it I did line to circle and the dimension was out of tolerance so I went to engineering thinking I had a bad cad file. They checked out the cad file and said it was good so I started playing around with my program, trying different things when I came across this situation. Why would it matter what feature I choose first if everything else is the same??? Has anyone else seen this before?
              Just curiuos, when you recall distance between the two features. What distance type 2D or 3D? That'll give you different results.
              Good day!!
              sigpicIt's corona time!
              737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAƑOL

Comment

Is this example what you talking about Matt. Since I sitting hear waiting on the operators to fire the machine up and give me some work.
                Attached Files
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AuRules View Post
                  Is this example what you talking about Matt. Since I sitting hear waiting on the operators to fire the machine up and give me some work.
                  Yep, that is what it does.
                  sigpic

Comment

Catia does similar things with measure.

I believe the software should be written to re-evaluate the first element once the second element is chosen so you get the same answer regardless of order.

Comment

Originally posted by RussL View Post
                      Catia does similar things with measure.

I believe the software should be written to re-evaluate the first element once the second element is chosen so you get the same answer regardless of order.

Exactly. Otherwise is stupid.
                      Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment