Just a question about DMIS code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a question about DMIS code

I have a discussion going on here at work and I'm looking for an answer. At any point when writing or running a program in PC-Dmis is binary code ever used? Even when data is translated through the computer is binary code ever used? There is a claim that through the communication of PC-Dmis and the computer that binary code is used.

I'm not saying that it is or is not used because although I know PC-Dmis and I'm good with a computer I'm a little ignorant on how the "guts" work if you know what I mean. I know that DMIS is not a binary code but I know that computers use it and I'm just wondering if DMIS and binary ever mix if that makes any sense.

Everything is binary. ON/OFF 1 or 0, it all boils down to binary.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Ok then... thanks Matt. I appreciate your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Johnston View Post
        I have a discussion going on here at work and I'm looking for an answer. At any point when writing or running a program in PC-Dmis is binary code ever used? Even when data is translated through the computer is binary code ever used? There is a claim that through the communication of PC-Dmis and the computer that binary code is used.

I'm not saying that it is or is not used because although I know PC-Dmis and I'm good with a computer I'm a little ignorant on how the "guts" work if you know what I mean. I know that DMIS is not a binary code but I know that computers use it and I'm just wondering if DMIS and binary ever mix if that makes any sense.

I am not sure, but I think you are confusing a few issues. Like Mat says, everything on a computer is per definition binary.

But here is the deal: some vendors communicate with the machine controller through a TRUE DMIS text file (this is the crux of the original Fanamation patent by the way!!!). Because of the Fanamation patent, several vendors went around that and do NOT communicate with their controller using direct DMIS text code. Since PC-DMIS existed well before this Fanamation mess, they may communicate with the controller using other means, maybe binary, I have no idea.

Since the late 90's, the owner of the patent (which went the QI Tech in China) has donated this patent to the public domain. So this is NOT an issue anymore. So maybe there are now companies that are using striaght DMIS to command the controller. Doesn't mean anything really. Maybe a sales issue...

By the way, because of this patent issue, there were several large companies that actively opposed the use of any DMIS on machines. I think either John Deere or Cat were the front runners in that. But after the donation to the public domain, this is not an issue anymore.

In this respect, I++ is a far more exciting developement. And Hexagon is heavily involved in that.

Jan.
        Last edited by Jan d.; 02-20-2007, 11:56 AM.
        PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
        Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment