assigning varialbes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• assigning varialbes

I'm running version 3.207 Beta trying to dimension the True Position callout on Datum -C-, balloon 108 in the lower view.

Datums -A- and -F- are shown in the upper view. Datum -D- is a hole pierced in Datum -H- at balloon 16 BASIC 31.72.

I'm trying to create a generic circle using the measured value of balloon 18 for the diameter by assigning a variable.

How do I assign the variable?

Does someone see a better way?

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Perry
    B&S Mistral
    3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Do you have all features measured? If so, I will construct an alignment (ABF) and recall True position with ballons 105 [31.7] and 109 [13.95].
    sigpicIt's corona time!
    737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAƑOL

Comment

You can assign it by declaring the variable to equal your feature name for balloon 18 (I'm going to call BALLOON18) then the extension .D. so it would lok something like so:

Code:
                  ASSIGN/V1 = BALLOON18.D
      The same syntax BALLOON18.D can be used in the generic feature in lieu of the variable name. So concievably you could skip the assignment.
      <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
        You can assign it by declaring the variable to equal your feature name for balloon 18 (I'm going to call BALLOON18) then the extension .D. so it would lok something like so:

Code:
                    ASSIGN/V1 = BALLOON18.D
        The same syntax BALLOON18.D can be used in the generic feature in lieu of the variable name. So concievably you could skip the assignment.
        Code:
        DIM 018 = 2D DISTANCE FROM LINE L_DAT_AH TO LINE L_DAT_AB PARALLEL TO   XAXIS, NO_RADIUS  UNITS=MM ,$
        GRAPH=OFF  TEXT=OFF  MULT=10.00  OUTPUT=BOTH
        AX  NOMINAL    MEAS     +TOL     -TOL      DEV    OUTTOL 
        M    53.900   53.867    0.200   -0.200   -0.033    0.000 ---#-----
        I'm trying to crete a generic circle using the measured value of DIM 018 as the diameter.

If I'm completely off track trying to use the bonus on Datum -F- say so.
        Last edited by Perry Fisher; 02-19-2007, 01:36 PM.
        Perry
        B&S Mistral
        3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Comment

Code:
                      ASSIGN/V1 = 018.M.MEAS
          Except with V3.207 you can't get a reference to features or dimensions whose names start with numbers. You'll need to tack a letter in front of it.

Code:
          DIM D018 = 2D DISTANCE FROM LINE L_DAT_AH TO LINE L_DAT_AB PARALLEL TO   XAXIS, NO_RADIUS  UNITS=MM ,$
                      ASSIGN/V1 = D018.M.MEAS

Comment

ASSIGN/V1 = 018.M.MEAS

And, you can always type in ASSIGN/V1 then hit F9 and it will pull up a helpful little screen that will walk you through any possible thing you can assign to a variable.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Yes, the F9 dialog will give you a lot of hints as to the things you can do. I forget to mention that.

Comment

Success!!

Code:
                            ASSIGN/V1 = 018.M.MEAS
                Except with V3.207 you can't get a reference to features or dimensions whose names start with numbers. You'll need to tack a letter in front of it.

Code:
                DIM D018 = 2D DISTANCE FROM LINE L_DAT_AH TO LINE L_DAT_AB PARALLEL TO   XAXIS, NO_RADIUS  UNITS=MM ,$
                            ASSIGN/V1 = D018.M.MEAS
                Craig...THAT was it. I did not know I needed a letter at the front af the DIM name. I use variable references to features all the time but I have never been able to get them to work referencing dimensions. If that is in the help files I missed it.

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                And, you can always type in ASSIGN/V1 then hit F9 and it will pull up a helpful little screen that will walk you through any possible thing you can assign to a variable.
                Thanks to you too, Matt. I use F9 almost as much as CRTL S.

Thanks all for your input. That's why ya'll are the MASTERS and I'm just a lowly peasant.
                Perry
                B&S Mistral
                3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Comment

Originally posted by Perry Fisher View Post
                  Craig...THAT was it. I did not know I needed a letter at the front af the DIM name. I use variable references to features all the time but I have never been able to get them to work referencing dimensions. If that is in the help files I missed it.

Thanks to you too, Matt. I use F9 almost as much as CRTL S.

Thanks all for your input. That's why ya'll are the MASTERS and I'm just a lowly peasant.
                  Well, I think 'peasant' is too derogatory, how about serf instead?

sigpic
                  I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                    Well, I think 'peasant' is too derogatory, how about serf instead?

You're the MASTER, name me.

Craig, leave that one alone.
                    Perry
                    B&S Mistral
                    3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Comment

Originally posted by Perry Fisher
                      I use variable references to features all the time but I have never been able to get them to work referencing dimensions. If that is in the help files I missed it.
                      I don't think it is in the help file, I learned that one the hard way.

Don't sell yourself short, I get a lot out of all of you.

Comment

I don't think it is in the help file, I learned that one the hard way.

Don't sell yourself short, I get a lot out of all of you.
                        yeah, lots of things missing from the help files. Like, DON'T use math operations in the feature OR dimension ID's. Ya kind of have to look at them like old BASIC programming. If it is all numbers, it will see it as a number, not a label, thus the need for a letter in the DIM ID for the assignment to work, otherwise it thinks you are entering a number, 123.whatever, then looses it's mind when it see something other than move numbers after the decimal point, probably the same with feature ID's, but I don't think anyone uses just numbers for feature ID's.
                        sigpic

Comment

3.7 works well on this issue, no need to prefix your IDs with a letter, although I'd caution against using only numbers in your ID. There should be an underscore or a letter or something inocuous in the ID. However with 3.2 you can not start with a number even if at some point in the ID you have letters.

3.2:
                          D1_125 works
                          1_125 does not work

3.7:
                          D1_125 works
                          1_125 works also
                          have not tried 1125, don't want to.

I can't speak for 3.5, never used it.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry Fisher View Post
                            You're the MASTER, name me.

Craig, leave that one alone.
                            I can't beleive he let that one slide

TK
                            sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment

Freakin variable question again

I got the previous one worked out thanks to the gurus. Now I have another variable question.

I'm using a Comment/Input command to enter a hole ID being checked with a pin gage:

COM_DATB =COMMENT/INPUT,PIN GAGE DAT -B- HOLE
                              ASSIGN/V1 = COM_DATB.INPUT

Later in my program I'm trying to use V1 as the DIAMETER for a generic circle:

DAT_B =GENERIC/CIRCLE,DEPENDENT,RECT,OUT,$
                              NOM/XYZ,0,0,0,$
                              MEAS/XYZ,C22.X,C22.Y,C22.Z,$
                              NOM/IJK,0,0,1,$
                              MEAS/IJK,C22.I,C22.J,C22.K,$
                              DIAMETER/10.2,V1

For some reason, probably me, the V1 value is not being picked up:

DIM 22= LOCATION OF CIRCLE DAT_B UNITS=MM ,$
                              GRAPH=OFF TEXT=OFF MULT=1.00 OUTPUT=BOTH
                              AX NOMINAL MEAS +TOL -TOL DEV OUTTOL
                              D 10.200 1.000 0.100 -0.100 -9.200 9.100 <--------
                              END OF DIMENSION 22

What have I hammered up this time?

I'm doing this to allow PC-DMIS to locate the hole for True Position but use the pin gage check for the diameter so both are on my PC-DMIS report.

TIA for everyone's help.
                              Perry
                              B&S Mistral
                              3.207 Beta on XP

Older'n dirt

Comment