X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thickness type in Vector point

There are three options.
    1. Theo. 2. Actual. 3. None.

I always consider Theo what I was told in training class. I would say if I selected Actual, I would have to enter Thickness in the space below Thickness Type where T is written. I have not tried it because My all work pieces have variation in thickness along the plane. So I always make two planes and find distance between two planes in 3D which is thickness of work piece.. I am really confused about None. I read manual On line several months ago, but I did not remember if vector point window appeared with this description because I followed instructions given in class. Anyway, I will open manual again while waiting for the answer here.
    Last edited by Jignesh; 07-06-2016, 03:12 PM.

THEO Thickness is used to offset points by some amount. The amount being what you type in below T. If you don't type anything in, but have THEO selected, then it's a theoretical thickness of 0, which is exactly the same as having NONE selected.

Use THEO when you have a single surface CAD and need to offset your vector points by material thickness. This will offset the point nominal and target values to the new location.

I never use actual, but the help file says it should yield the same measured data as THEO, but how the deviation is calculated will be different.

You should only use thickness if you are in need of offsetting your points. If you have full solid CAD, you shouldn't need to use THEO very often at all.

There are some other programming uses of THEO, such as with Edge points and fixtures with flush trim checks.
    "This is my word... and as such is beyond contestation."

Comment

I have used this option only when checking sheet metal (thin material) where the Cad provided shows only one side of the material but the vector points I need to measure apply to the other side.
      If you trying to measure material thickness this option is unrelated
      Last edited by Roberto; 07-07-2016, 06:47 AM.
      sigpicIt's corona time!
      737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAƑOL

Comment

• VinniUSMC
        VinniUSMC commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point. This option does not measure material thickness.

The previous programmer here used the "actual" thickness area to falsify results in a not-immediately-noticable way. That and generic features with the measured values "adjusted" with arbitrary values.
      Nick
      PC-DMIS 2015.1
      DEA Scirocco-activ
      TP20 stuck to a PH10MQ
      Modified wheelie chair- slightly more comfortable

Comment

I've used it when I need to measure a wall thickness on a curved surface. I pick a point on one side, then create a point with the same location, but flipped vectors with the actual thickness offset by the nominal thickness of the wall. Then I create a point on the opposite side of the wall using the location of the offset point. Then I can do a 3d distance between the two measured points and delete the offset point.
        PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

• VinniUSMC
          VinniUSMC commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a great example of a programming use of the thickness option.

It's also useful for rough maching operation checks

Comment

The Thickness option can also be used to offset the Target points to the Best Fit Alignment. This feature can also be used for Draft Surfaces.
          Working with the Best crashing software like no other.
          PC-DMIS BETA Software
          The CrashRpt Metrology Software company.

Comment