Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radius error spreadsheet

Guys,

I KNOW I have seen it somewhere on the web, can't find it here.

I have seen a spreadsheet that shows the amount of error in measuring rads.

It showed how once you get less than 180 DEG, the error becomes worse .

It also explained how this was calculated...

Anyone seen or have this to post ???

TIA
    Jim Jewell

Jim,

I will do some looking. I do not have it but would like a copy if it can be located.
    Hilton Roberts

"Carpe Cerveza"

Comment

Jim,

Here is a link that may help.

http://www.geomet-cmm-software.com/tn-002.htm
      Hilton Roberts

"Carpe Cerveza"

Comment

I would be interested in this calculation also. I constantly have to explain to customers why reporting the center location of an arc when you have less than 25% of the arc length to pick up points on is a futile exercise.

I have had to go as far as showing them on cad if you vary the points defining the arc by as little as .0001" how dramatically it affects the center point location and radius of the arc depending on the size of the arc segment. It would be nice to have something on paper to show these engineers why they shouldn't have this on their drawings and why thay should have profile of a surface instead.

t.
        Global Image 555
        PH10M-TP200
        PC-DMIS Cad ++
        Win7 64 bit
        V2014.1

Comment

Originally posted by dtmtim View Post
          I would be interested in this calculation also. I constantly have to explain to customers why reporting the center location of an arc when you have less than 25% of the arc length to pick up points on is a futile exercise.

I have had to go as far as showing them on cad if you vary the points defining the arc by as little as .0001" how dramatically it affects the center point location and radius of the arc depending on the size of the arc segment. It would be nice to have something on paper to show these engineers why they shouldn't have this on their drawings and why thay should have profile of a surface instead.

t.
          I have had the same issue. The math for calculating the center of a circle is precise. It is the precision of the gathered numbers that really causes the problem for CMMs.

It makes no difference to the formula if the points are picked up on 360 degrees of the circle or 15 degrees.

It is the normal variation one sees over 15 degrees that causes the results to go crazy. Lots of engineers do not see the disconnect.
          Hilton Roberts

"Carpe Cerveza"

Comment

Originally posted by Hilton Roberts View Post
            I have had the same issue. The math for calculating the center of a circle is precise. It is the precision of the gathered numbers that really causes the problem for CMMs.

It makes no difference to the formula if the points are picked up on 360 degrees of the circle or 15 degrees.

It is the normal variation one sees over 15 degrees that causes the results to go crazy. Lots of engineers do not see the disconnect.
            I suppose one way to demonstrate this would be to copy my CAD description into a word doc. I could show some arc segment and show the difference in the center of the arc by varying the defining points by .0001" There is probably a way to show this in excel if we pick a number for normal variation such as .0001" but it would be too much of a brain strain this morning.
            Global Image 555
            PH10M-TP200
            PC-DMIS Cad ++
            Win7 64 bit
            V2014.1

Comment

This is not the spreadsheet, but it may help
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Crash Not View Post
                This is not the spreadsheet, but it may help
                Cool - thanks, the formulas are there too if someone wants to do a spreadsheet.

t.
                Global Image 555
                PH10M-TP200
                PC-DMIS Cad ++
                Win7 64 bit
                V2014.1

Comment

Or this
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Crash Not View Post
                    Or this
                    Also very cool - that's exactly what I was describing before that I did in CAD.

Thanks!

t.
                    Global Image 555
                    PH10M-TP200
                    PC-DMIS Cad ++
                    Win7 64 bit
                    V2014.1

Comment

This may be the sreadsheet
                      Attached Files

Comment

Spreadsheet Found !!!

Crash Not,

Thats EXACTLY the one I was referring to ! You are the man ! Thanks.

This is a very clear way to show ppl why a cmm can't measure a rad accurately when the chord isn't large enough. This is a tool to use that will explain it. If they can't follow this, they shouldn't be asking the question in the first place.

This should be posted in the CODE area, by the way, where did you find it ?

Thanks again
                        Jim Jewell

Comment

Thanks from me also!
                          Mr. Comment
                          SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
                          B3C-LC Controller (Leitz Protocol), SP600M, TP200
                          PCDMIS CAD++ v4.3 MR1(Build: 12/11/08)
                          sigpic

Comment

Me three
                            Hilton Roberts

"Carpe Cerveza"

Comment

Hilton,

You already know it all, why would you need this sheet ? LOL

No disrespect meant, just admiration for your knowledge. If thats
                              what its like to get old, its not such a disappointment..
                              Jim Jewell

Comment