Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• geo tol question

Good morning,

The drawing calls out profile of a surface .010" (no datums specified). The surfaces to be inspected are 2D profiles of irregular shaped pockets.

I have previously inspected this by inspecting each feature (circle or line) that makes up the outside profile of the pocket then creating a feature set and reporting profile of a line (since thats what it really is) to the datums on the part. I have a CAD model for this part I am using to drive PC-DMIS.

I have also done this another way by creating vector points all along the inside surfaces of the pocket then creating a set feature of those points and reporting profile of a surface to the datums on the part.

In your opinion what is the correct way to inspect this?

Thanks!

t.
    Global Image 555
    PH10M-TP200
    PC-DMIS Cad ++
    Win7 64 bit
    V2014.1

Best fit profile tolerance
    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
      Best fit profile tolerance
      What cmmguy said, but I would add, either measurement methods of your should yield correct results. But, let me also ask this, can you scan this as a linear open or closed scan? If so, then you would have everything in one measurement to start with that you would need.
      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

You could do a 2-D linear scan (open or closed, your choice) and reporting the profile of it.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I haven't done a 2d linear scan yet. My experience is limited to UV scans. Can you explain how it's done? I attempted to figure out patch scans a while ago from the help file but gave up.
          Global Image 555
          PH10M-TP200
          PC-DMIS Cad ++
          Win7 64 bit
          V2014.1

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
            What cmmguy said, but I would add, either measurement methods of your should yield correct results. But, let me also ask this, can you scan this as a linear open or closed scan? If so, then you would have everything in one measurement to start with that you would need.
            Cant you combine the individual features, once measured, into a feature set and then tolerance them as a set?

Comment

Originally posted by dtmtim View Post
              I haven't done a 2d linear scan yet. My experience is limited to UV scans. Can you explain how it's done? I attempted to figure out patch scans a while ago from the help file but gave up.
              Patch scans SUCK. The liner closed (or open) are really quite simple, especially with CAD. Click on the cad where you want it to start, give it a direction and an end point (linear open only), then you can simply click on GENERATE and it will pull the nominals and IJK from the cad data. Of course, if it is truely a 2-D profile you are trying to get, you WILL want to alter the Z (or wahtever axis) for the start, direction, end points so that they are all the same BEFORE you click on generate. AND, below those, there will be VECTORS. Change the plane and cut vectors so that they are all either zero or one (should be obviuos which you will need for each axis), then click on generate. It will show you the scan it is going to make, if you like it, UNMARK MEASURE, then click on create. Execute the scan later. Also, since you are using CAD, you will want to make sure the scan is set to MASTER (one of the choices).
              sigpic
              Originally posted by AndersI
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Thanks Matt - again! - great solution - works well.

t.
                Global Image 555
                PH10M-TP200
                PC-DMIS Cad ++
                Win7 64 bit
                V2014.1

Comment

Originally posted by dtmtim View Post
                  Good morning,

The drawing calls out profile of a surface .010" (no datums specified). The surfaces to be inspected are 2D profiles of irregular shaped pockets.

I have previously inspected this by inspecting each feature (circle or line) that makes up the outside profile of the pocket then creating a feature set and reporting profile of a line (since thats what it really is) to the datums on the part. I have a CAD model for this part I am using to drive PC-DMIS.

I have also done this another way by creating vector points all along the inside surfaces of the pocket then creating a set feature of those points and reporting profile of a surface to the datums on the part.

In your opinion what is the correct way to inspect this?

Thanks!

t.
                  Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
                  Cant you combine the individual features, once measured, into a feature set and then tolerance them as a set?
                  Yes, that is why I said either of his methods would work, or, using an open or closed scan.
                  sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Sorry, missed that....

Comment