150mm Probe Calibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150mm Probe Calibration

I need a little help trying to make this work.
    We just recieved an Extended Force Module with a 5mm by 100mm Crabon Fiber probe and a 50mm Carbon Fiber Extension. I ordered these items so they will become a set. I will not use the module for anything but these probes and extn.
    The problem I am having is this: The way I have it built up is as follows
    PH10M, Convert 30mm to M8thread, TP20, Exten 90mm, Exten 10, tip 5mm by 50mm. This is the same way I build all my probes.
    The reason for this build up is that I do not have a 50mm extension in my drop down window. I do not have a tip for 5mm by 100mm either.
    When I go to calibrate the probe I get the message:
    "Standard Deviations for probe calibration exceed limit."
    I have the limit set for .0002.
    Could it not be calibrating due to the build up? Any help would be great.

One thing I have done is after I try to calibrate the probe, I have gotten a 2.0000 ring gage and measured it. It is measureing within .0002-.0006.

Thanks

3.5MR2
    Last edited by B. Jacobs; 02-12-2007, 12:11 PM.
    B. Jacobs
    B&S Global 12.15.10

It is not the virtual build that is doing it. It is the actual build of a 5mm ruby at the end of 150mm of shank that is giving you problems. You can pull off what you are trying if you are tender and depending on your tolerances (hope they are loose). I certainly would not index. I am assuming you do not have the option of extending above the TP20 due to part configuration?
    <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment

Try reducing your touch speed. I have mine set at .75 to .5 for that long of a build. Don't forget to use those same settings when the probe is recalled in your program. Also reduce your move speed to something like 50%.
      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
        You can pull off what you are trying if you are tender and depending on your tolerances (hope they are loose). I certainly would not index. I am assuming you do not have the option of extending above the TP20 due to part configuration?
        I have =/-.01 tolerances. Yes I have a work around for the part. I have to raech inside a slot that is 5 inches deep. It sucks.
        B. Jacobs
        B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment

Try what James said and depending on the type of machine you have you might even have to get as nitpicky as cleaning the drive system to avoid false triggers. ±0.01 should be enough forgiveness tolerance wise.

Comment

Originally posted by craiger_ny View Post
            Try what James said and depending on the type of machine you have you might even have to get as nitpicky as cleaning the drive system to avoid false triggers. ±0.01 should be enough forgiveness tolerance wise.
            Unless that is +/-0.01mm, not +/-0.01", post does not say which.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
              Sorry it is +/-.01"
              B. Jacobs
              B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
                Try reducing your touch speed. I have mine set at .75 to .5 for that long of a build. Don't forget to use those same settings when the probe is recalled in your program. Also reduce your move speed to something like 50%.
                I tried this. It helped a little bit. I am getting readings on the ring gage of 1.9997-2.0004. I think this will work for me.
                B. Jacobs
                B&S Global 12.15.10

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                  Welcome to America Hoedeman, now start speaking English.

Sorry, had to give you the same crap I get when I program metric. I get a metric print, I program metric. Then they biitch at me for not converting to English. Get this, one time we had a metric part come in. It was a UK part that we machine and assemble (it is a partner company they do some work we do some). We took the metric drawing, converted it to English, then wrote the CNC and CMM programs (I was the only one that kept things MM), measured the parts, did a first article which was in metric because that is how I spit my results out. Everyone biitched and they made me redo it in English, all I did was change the dims I left the rest (instead of re-writing). Then one of our QEs writes a spreadsheet to convert my English report to metric! WTF?

Comment

Wasn't that part of the problem with one of the failed Mars probes? One branch of NASA failed to tell the other they had already converted.....
                    When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
                    sigpic

Comment

I do everything in metric. The whole shop does. Even when the dies are built using english bolts and stuff, all the dimensions are in metric.
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by AndersI
                      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Here we try to stay with what the print is. Once in awhile though we get a Metric print set everything up metric then a engineer comes along and puts a english measurement on out 1st piece inspection go figure.
                        Since I gave up hope I feel much better !!!

Comment