Help Needed With Jig Recognition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed With Jig Recognition

Hi All, i have only been using our Dea Global CMM for one year using dmis 4.1 software , in that time have not really used it very much, what i would like to do is know if there is a way of recognising a certain program by simply touching on a register, for example a pin of a certain height that will let the machine know what program to select and automatically run that program, for example if i were to touch on a pin of 25mm in height, pc dmis would know that 25mm coresponds to program number 35 and would run it, i will be using fixed jigs that will always be located in the same place, i would appreciate any help you can give me

thank you Paul Beard.
    sigpic

Paul,

Short answer, no.

Longer answer as follows; if you are going to be using "fixed jigs" that are always going to be used in the same place, then you should be able to make external alignments for each of your various jigs.

That way, when you place a particular jig on the cmm, you can run your individual programs by recalling your external alignment into your individual part program.

If you do a search, you should be able to locate other threads on this topic.

Best Regards,
    ZydecoPete
    sigpic

Comment

I think it can be done. You want just a program recognition feature.

I am sure that you can develop some SCRIPT to do this. The Hexagon website may even have examples. I have NOT done this myself though. But I have seen previous posts from other people that seem to have done that (they start programs based on operator input to several questions; I have seen Craiger post about this; search through some of his posts).

A quick suggestion: you can measure the featuree and then use the IF/ENDIF fuctionality to jump to a LABEL. That would do the trick, however, then you'll have to create 1 huge program covering all potential combinations.

I think that some on this board will be able to get you a better solution.

Jan.
      Last edited by Jan d.; 02-12-2007, 09:12 AM.
      PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
      Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

If your fixture bases are very similar in size or one corner repeatably locates in the same location, you can do the following.

Have a stored alignment that will bring you to the same location on all fixtures.

You can use a binary system of holes. It requires modifying the fixtures.

Up to 8 holes gives 256 fixtures. The holes would be in a row. One hole present represents 1 not present represents a 0. The position in the row defines its value.

You have a mini program that goes out and touches where each hole is supposed to be and "counts" the binary total. This mini program then launches the correct program for that binary code.

example:
        Holes 1, 3, 5, 8 missing
        01010110 = 0+2+0+8+0+32+64+0=106

106 is the number

If you add one more hole then it will give you 512 fixtures. Of course if you only have 31 fixtures then you only need up to 5 holes.
        Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

Jan,

Thanks for your input. I apologize for being a little too quick(just trying to be helpful)
          Great suggestion !!

Unfortunately, I've not had much experience / guidance with "script" types of functions.

Best Regards,
          ZydecoPete
          sigpic

Comment

Just read this; I think that's the way to do it. Requires you to get in .NET stuff though...

http://www.pcdmisforum.com/showpost....9&postcount=13

Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan d. View Post
              Just read this; I think that's the way to do it. Requires you to get in .NET stuff though...

http://www.pcdmisforum.com/showpost....9&postcount=13

Jan.
              This should all be able to be done in PCDMIS. It wont be "deluxe-coding" but the tools are available in PCDMIS to sort this all out.
              Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

well thanks for your quick response, i have actually been on to hexagon this morning and one of there applications guys explained how to do it, but it was all rather confusing, he basically said you have to crete an assignment program where for example a pin on each seperate jig is a certain height and this tells it which program to use, from this you put your part programs into subroutines labelling them prog 1,2 etc and depening on the height of that pin it will pick the correct program.

he explained this by going to insert/assignment and labeling it for example pnt1.z.meas which will measure the point that you already have in your program in the z axis.

he then said use the insert/flow control/ if/goto button to put in for example if z
                < 7.5 mm goto prog 1 etc etc .

i really am still confused so if anyone understands and can put it into more basic terms or has a printed version of this i would appreciate it, i cant grasp the subroutine part what is an argument ?

thanks Paul
                Last edited by [email protected]; 02-12-2007, 09:55 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

It seems to me that he wants you to do the following:

Start a program that does all your alignments and then measures on top of the pin. Let's say you call this PNT1. The Z height will tell you which program to call.

Code:
                              IF_GOTO/PNT1.Z>6.5 AND PNT1.Z<7.5,GOTO = L1
                              IF_GOTO/PNT1.Z>7.5 AND PNT1.Z<8.5,GOTO = L2
                  L1         =LABEL/
                  L2         =LABEL/
                  After L1, you put in a call to a subroutine. Use your help file and it explains how to do that (look for "calling a subroutine"). I have never done this, but it seems simple enough...

Comment

That's great thanks i will give it a go and see how i get on.

regards PAUL.
                    sigpic

Comment