New User - Problem with alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New User - Problem with alignment

Hi, I am a new PC_DMIS 4.1 user fresh off of training last week. My instructor advised us to install 3.7 as it is a more stable version. We have seen a few glitches already on 4.1. I installed 3.7 on sat. but the 3.7 software couldn't find the probe configurations, any ideas on what I need to copy over to the 3.7 directories?

I was having a problem yesterday with a xplus alignment, I made an xplus plane, a 2 point line on top of the fixture in the yaxis and a point on the front of the fixture. I set plane to level, rotated on the line (yplus on the xplus axis), set the plane to x origin, line to z origin and the point to the y origin. When I made an automatic alignment using these same features the probe runs into the part as if the x origin is below the surface of the fixture. Am I doing somthing stupid or is the machine not liking my alignment?

Is there a newbie area on this forum, or should I just keep jumping in with new threads?

Bruce Miller
    Working in Milwaukee wi

Welcome aboard ..This is it post as needed but please use the search to see if your questions have been answered before. All responders should receive a gratuity of a 6pack or a pint of there favorite poision I'm not sure if it is the lack of sleep or me but I am having a little problem trying to figure out what you did. It helps if you post some code and a sketch and or a screen shot. Going backwards is a new one for me most people have problems because they move up.you need to save your probe files that were written in 4.1 as a 3.7 probe file. you also need to set the search path in 3.7 to find those files. Not knowing exactly what you have in your aligment, leaves a lot of posibilities. one that comes to mind is that you have the clearance plane feature on and it is not in the right direction another is that you have automoves on and they are in the right direction. Remember that when you level a part 3 points. the line you create must be on a plane 90 degrees from that surface also when you take a point or create point for your third axis that has to be 90 degrees from the other two axis. You can get away from the 90 a little if you use an iterative alignment. this will find the part based on CAD model vectors. My suggestion as that you are new from class is to go over your notes and start with the basic Z plus alignment on your test part and go from there. Sounds like you are making progress. It takes a while to fully understand this. keep the faith.
    Tolerance challenged ... Living in the world of unseen lines.

This software isn't buggy its an infestation

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Miller View Post
      When I made an automatic alignment using these same features the probe runs into the part as if the x origin is below the surface of the fixture. Am I doing somthing stupid or is the machine not liking my alignment?
      This is my first guess of what may be wrong.

When you create an alignment from Touch Points (Probe jog box). Your second "iteration" points after your initial part alignment have to "relearned" completely with new Touch points in the desired alignment system.

Add new points dont copy or use the original features as the Theo values for the hit will be wrong, and as such the probe will move to places it can no longer get to.
      Mr. Comment
      SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
      B3C-LC Controller (Leitz Protocol), SP600M, TP200
      PCDMIS CAD++ v4.3 MR1(Build: 12/11/08)
      sigpic

Comment

This may be a simple question but when you did your alignment did you make sure that it leveled the plane to the X-axis and not the Z-axis?

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the input gus, I didn't have a chance to work on the cmm today. I will have to go back to my training manual and make sure I set the planes up right.

Comment

Can you post the code? We may see something that can be the cause.
            When in doubt, post code. A second set of eyes might see something you missed.
            sigpic

Comment