Importing CATIA V5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing CATIA V5

Hi everyone, I'm glad you are here. I'm a new user who need to import Catia files to my pcdmis v41 but the icon under import is greyed out unable to click it. I can convert to iges and do that succesfully but I seem to have some data loss. Is this an option I need to purchase or a default setting somewhere?
    I am a complete newbie to this but I programe lasers with catia-cenit software so I can usually find my way around settings but this time I am stumped. I guess this is why the SMA is so much $$. Any help would be appreciated.--Bob Boucher
    B&S Oryzo
    PH10 TP20
    3.7MR3

Newbie,

You'll be able to import iges & step files. My understanding is that to import Catia, you'll need to purchase a "seat" to do so.

ZydecoPete
    sigpic

Comment

You need the Catia DCT, in order to translate directly from a Catia file into PCDMIS. This options runs about $4,500 per seat.

If you happen to be lucky enough to have a free Catia v5 seat avaliable you could purchase the DCI upgrade for PCDMIS which then you could work directly off the native model for $5,500.

Anyone out there with a DCT willing to translate Catia v4/v5 or UG files for beer money? I got some I would like to do too but Im not 100% sure I can justify the cost for my own DCT.

Thanks
      Mr. Comment
      SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
      B3C-LC Controller (Leitz Protocol), SP600M, TP200
      PCDMIS CAD++ v4.3 MR1(Build: 12/11/08)
      sigpic

Comment

We bought the software used from ... I thought they had the seat. there was reference to it in the paperwork, I get an error msg that mentions the lock which is the port lock I presume, geuss I will just have to clean up my files before converting to iges because that is a chunk of change for a new shop.
        B&S Oryzo
        PH10 TP20
        3.7MR3

Comment

I agree. One big chunk of change. Our company spent $4500 each for the UG, Catia V4, Catia V5 and Ideas ($18,000) translators. The thing I hate though is that we spent all that mulah and the cad files are so big sometimes after the translation that our P.C.'s can't handle them (almost 1GB in size)...
          sigpic
          Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
          PCDMIS 2012
          Windows Office XP

Comment

Originally posted by rbnew View Post
            We bought the software used from ... I thought they had the seat. there was reference to it in the paperwork, I get an error msg that mentions the lock which is the port lock I presume, geuss I will just have to clean up my files before converting to iges because that is a chunk of change for a new shop.
            Well, just because your version of PCdmis has the 'ability' to use those files, if the PC you are on does NOT have an installed seat of that software, it will not work, it might be looking for the port lock for the other software.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Wow now that would be a pretty darn big CAD file.

They probably do that on purpose to make you spend the extra money on the DCIs too.
              Mr. Comment
              SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
              sigpic

Comment

my catia computer is seperate but with network license. I haven't put the CMM computer on the network yet.. maybe I can work this out or install on the same station. Thanks for the idea. I'll post with my failure or success next week. Thanks for the info
                B&S Oryzo
                PH10 TP20
                3.7MR3

Comment

Originally posted by rbnew View Post
                  my catia computer is seperate but with network license. I haven't put the CMM computer on the network yet.. maybe I can work this out or install on the same station. Thanks for the idea. I'll post with my failure or success next week. Thanks for the info
                  Well if your trying to "IMPORT" a Catia model you must have to have a Direct CAD Translator (DCT) license for PCDMIS and the CAD software license is not needed.

But if your trying to use the Direct CAD Interface(DCI) you need both a DCI license for PCDMIS and a free CATIA CAD seat. Theres also some additional software setup to do to PCDMIS if this is a new install to make it work as well. Instructions can be downloaded from the wilcox site.

Open up your PCDMIS program directory and run the CUSTPROG.EXE after it finshes loading click on the "save module list" button and save the "dump.txt" Open the Dump and read what "Modules" have been installed on your PCDMIS port lock.

This should tell you if you can use any of the DCI or DCTs before you hook your computer up to the network.

My computer doenst have any DCI or DCTs but some of the buttons are not greyed out as well. I guess its just wishful thinking.
                  Mr. Comment
                  SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
                  sigpic

Comment

thanks, I'll go look
                    B&S Oryzo
                    PH10 TP20
                    3.7MR3

Comment

Nothing about Catia in the file dump:
                      "3.25 Enabled
                      CAD Output Translator
                      DCC Scanning
                      Display CAD
                      DMIS Translator
                      Online Interface-B&S Sharpe DCC
                      PC-DMIS CAD++
                      Sheet Metal
                      Stats Output
                      Tactile Probing
                      Vendor-Brown & Sharpe"
                      But I did find catia v5 dll's in translate and in the program file itself, maybe the module was kept by "them" for there continued usage on some other port lock I know they had a bunch of other cmm's to keep running.
                      B&S Oryzo
                      PH10 TP20
                      3.7MR3

Comment

3.25 Enabled
                        CAD Output Translator
                        DCC Scanning
                        Display CAD
                        DMIS Translator
                        Online Interface-B&S Leitz
                        PC-DMIS CAD++
                        Sheet Metal
                        Stats Output
                        Tactile Probing
                        Tool Changer
                        Vendor-Brown & Sharpe

Basically looks the same as mine.

Id say your SOL
                        Mr. Comment
                        SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
                        sigpic

Comment

Isn't the first time. I guess the extra time I put into cleaning up the files to make good iges files will show up on my check anyways. Not a complete loss.
                          B&S Oryzo
                          PH10 TP20
                          3.7MR3

Comment

That would be nice. I get paid less for OT. So I beg for mercy from others.

Btw: Have you tried using the "IGES Alternate" option instead when you import your model. I find "when it actually works" that the model comes in much cleaner.
                            Last edited by MrComment; 02-09-2007, 03:13 PM.
                            Mr. Comment
                            SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
                            sigpic

Comment

So much for OT, That worked perfectly. Clean and without missing sections.
                              Thank you!
                              B&S Oryzo
                              PH10 TP20
                              3.7MR3

Comment